Find the answer to your Linux question:
i installed linux on a computer today and it booted fine the first time, ie after isntallation. then i compiled a new kernel, and installed a LOT of updates, adn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

ext3 partition detected as ntfs

i installed linux on a computer today and it booted fine the first time, ie after isntallation.

then i compiled a new kernel, and installed a LOT of updates, adn not it refuses to boot. it panics and says
    EXT2-fs: ide0(3,5): couldnt mount because of unsupported optional features (4).

when i go into resuce mode to try and work out what is wrong, fdisk -l /dev/hda says it is a linux partition, but when i try to mount it i get a message saying "filesystem ntfs is not support by kernel"

this is NOT an ntfs drive, it is ext3. adn it wont boot from my compiled kernel or the factory kernel.

Hellmasker,
    silly question time.

If you use the -t ext3 argument on your mount command does it work?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    no i havent tried that, (/me smacks myself in the head fo rnot tryign somethign so obvious)

however it wont fix the kernel panic on boot problem.

when the kernel panics, is it complaining about init problems? If so, you have not got the initrd loading properly. If this sounds like it, have a look at the micro howto (even nano-howto) that I've put forward. It's in the sugestions part under the title Grub diskette download. I seem to remember having something similar (the panic) when I tried to load Mandrake 9.2 without telling GRUB about the "root=/dev/hd??" on the kernel line.

have fun

Nerderello

Linux Engineer
    there is a root=/dev/hda5 line in the config file, and i have installe dfrom these cd's onto multiple comps before and never had this problem, i would imagine the default setups are all the same and since it worked liek 6 times it should work again.

I once had a problem (with a partion being set as reiserfs) when I installed Mandrake onto a partion that was reiserfs which, during install, I reformated to ext3. The /etc/fstab created by the instal still had the partion as a reiserfs partition.

I wonder if something like this has happened to you, but with ntfs instead?

have fun

Nerderello

Linux Engineer
    now that soudns half possible, will check it next time im at my mates house (his comp)