Find the answer to your Linux question:
i was wondering which linux is better mandrake or redhat. and why. also i was wondering how much space they take up on a hard drive. and can you dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which is better redhat or mandrake and why

i was wondering which linux is better mandrake or redhat. and why. also i was wondering how much space they take up on a hard drive. and can you dual boot with windows xp and linux or can you have a home network one with linux and the other with windows xp. thanks

Linux Guru
    Neither is better of the two. They mainly just focus on different aspects of the system, and do some things in different ways. If you choose RedHat, I will be able to help you more easily in future questions, but it doesn't _really_ matter.
    The space they take is greatly variable. Technically, you could install Linux on less then 10 MBs, but then you won't be able to do much with it. A "typical" installation, if there is such a thing, would probably take between 1 and 2 GBs. That will still include lots of extras, though.
    Of course you can dual boot. Probably 90% of all who use Linux has dual boot. Know, however, that you will probably have to repartition your hard drive if you've used up all space for Windows partitions. That will probably mean that you'll have to reinstall Windows, if you have nowhere to back it up to. (It's likely that you'll have to reinstall it anyway since it's so inherently inflexible, but that's another story.)
    You can also have a Linux system interoperate with a Windows "system" over the network. There are several interfaces to do that.

Just Joined!
    what about having one system on one hard disk and another system on my other hard disk. like windows xp and linux. will i be able to do that and will i be able choose the system to boot at the beginning of turning on my computer.

Linux Guru
    That's how I had it before I removed Windows completely, so it's perfectly alright. And yes, the installer will install a boot loader. It will let you choose between LILO and GRUB, and you'll want to use GRUB. GRUB is better than LILO in all ways, LILO is mainly legacy support nowadays.

Just Joined!
    where would be the best place to buy linux i went to a site easylinuxcd.com that was selling it for $4.98 but i don't know if you get all the features or if there are hidden prices. and if that ain't the best site to get it from where would be and how much does it cost. thanks for the help

Linux Guru
    Wouldn't the best option be to download it?

Just Joined!
    would i download it and save it to a cd and install it on my new hard drive later when the computers off and where can i download it at.

Linux Guru
    If you choose RedHat, you can download it from http://www.redhat.com/. If you choose Mandrake, you can download it from http://www.mandrakelinux.com/.