Find the answer to your Linux question:
help! i was using rhl 9 . i recently got fedora4 and formatted my 20 gb harddisk using fdisk in DOS to install it.i also deleted all the partitons. now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

want to remove mbr on a formatted drive!

help!
    i was using rhl 9 . i recently got fedora4 and formatted my 20 gb harddisk using fdisk in DOS to install it.i also deleted all the partitons. now i just learned that fc4 is incompatible with my sysstem.i want to reinstall rhl9.

on start of installation procedure , it says the mbr is still there and exits.
    i want to remove mbr so that i can reinstall rhl9 . how can it be removed!!!!!

help!!!

Just Joined!
    you can use the fdisk command..... in dos. But this some times does not work. If it does not work reinstall Fc4 with minimal packages and unmount the mbr.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by babbutycoon
    you can use the fdisk command..... in dos. But this some times does not work. If it does not work reinstall Fc4 with minimal packages and unmount the mbr.
    i hav tried fdisk in dos several times!
    as for fc4 , i cant install it, its incompatible with my system and its installation doesnt even starts!

i think u didn't delete primary partition with fdisk... ??
    use the fdisk again n post the details of primary n extended partitions...( including logical )

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

try this tooo......

check this link :

http://ilab.usc.edu/rjpeters/faq.html

DOS-based solution :

Boot with a DOS floppy that has "debug" on it; run "debug". At the '-' prompt, "block-fill" a 512-byte chunk of memory with zeroes:

f 9000:0 200 0

Start assembly mode with the 'a' command, and enter the following code:

mov dx,9000
    mov es,dx
    xor bx,bx
    mov cx,0001
    mov dx,0080
    mov ax,0301
    int 13
    int 20

Press <Enter> to exit assembly mode, take a deep breath - and press "g" to execute, then "q" to quit "debug". Your HD is now in a virgin state, and ready for partitioning and installation.
    { got these details from rcgreen's reply }

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi,ambar.

I have had success with GParted. Once I had a disk on which I had written "zeroes" with a vendor test program (to clean everything off) was to write a new "label" with GParted. It's small, so it boots up from the CD quickly, has a GUI, can manipulate partitions, etc.

As with any powerful tool, you can a lot of damage if you are not concentrating on what you are doing ... cheers, drl

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

( edit 1: correction, BeOS -> "empty" disk )
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Linux Newbie
    Are you running just one OS exclusively on your hard drive? Just want to verify it's just one.

fixmbr may do the trick for you. If you get really desperate you could install a boot loader to your mbr and setup the wait time to 1.

FYI FC isn't known to be the most stable. If you want RH I would try CentOS (RedHat but with proprietary stuff removed). Not sure if CentOS would have the same incompatibilities you've experienced though. FC users are beta testers for RH it seems.