Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all hello to everyone. My first post is a question, makes me wonder how many other first post were questions................. my hard drive set up is this Im ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xp and mandriva

First of all hello to everyone. My first post is a question, makes me wonder how many other first post were questions.................

my hard drive set up is this

Im downloading Mandriva at the moment after trying it from the CD.
    Im sure you know whats coming? I want to dual boot leaving xp on drive C: and putting Mandriva on drive F:

just as a bit of a spinball C: is on a SATA drive and F: is the pirmary IDE drive.

Ive done as much searching on the forum and the internet and im concerned about the grub loader and im getting thoroughly confused...........a bit of help appreciated.

bye the bye,
    all contents backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by redcastle
    First of all hello to everyone. My first post is a question, makes me wonder how many other first post were questions.................

my hard drive set up is this

Im downloading Mandriva at the moment after trying it from the CD.
    Im sure you know whats coming? I want to dual boot leaving xp on drive C: and putting Mandriva on drive F:

just as a bit of a spinball C: is on a SATA drive and F: is the pirmary IDE drive.

Ive done as much searching on the forum and the internet and im concerned about the grub loader and im getting thoroughly confused...........a bit of help appreciated.

bye the bye,
    all contents backed up.
    You'll first more than likely want to use the XP disk utility that you took the screenshot with to clear all the partitions on your destination drive (F: ) and leave the space unpartitioned. This will make it easier on Mandriva. Second, you'll want to make sure Mandriva installs the bootloader onto your C: drive's Master Boot Record. This can be done after the install. I'd recommend installing Mandriva on F: while C: is unplugged (therefore you have no chance of accidentally wiping the wrong drive) and then installing the bootloader afterward onto your C: drive. There's a way to do this from the command line, but the exact syntax escapes me at the moment.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick response techieMo.

All clear so far..........ish.
    so im clearing F: disconnecting C: loading Mandriva on F
    plugging C; back in a booting into xp and then modifying the Bootini file to give me a multiboot configuration.
    Is that right.?????
    If anyone has that syntax I'd be grateful .

All good fun aint it ????

Quote Originally Posted by redcastle
    Thanks for the quick response techieMo.

All clear so far..........ish.
    so im clearing F: disconnecting C: loading Mandriva on F
    plugging C; back in a booting into xp and then modifying the Bootini file to give me a multiboot configuration.
    Is that right.?????
    That's one way to do it. I've not personally edited the Boot.ini file in a very long time though. The method I described involved booting into your Mandriva install after you plug C: back in and installing the Linux bootloader (and adding an entry option for XP) onto the C: drive. Either way should work though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    ok iam a linux noop but this is easy uhh you cpuld unplug c and and the rest so it has to go on f