Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know if this is the right place but I installed DSL on a the HD from an old Laptop and it's running. The boot is quite fast but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Win user needs Linux help bad, How to install and uninstall software

I don't know if this is the right place but I installed DSL on a the HD from an old Laptop and it's running. The boot is quite fast but surfing with the old Firefox within DSL has some problems.

For some reason the plug ins like flash will not install. Firefox pops up a window that it cant find the package to download. When downloading on my windows machine there is no problem.

How do I install and uninstall software on Linux (DSL) and most of all where? In Win there is a window installed software and by selecting U can uninstall. Is there something similar?

Firefox for Linux is a ...tar.gz how do I install this software? I downloaded it and ff told me on my desktop but there is no extra Icon on my desktop (like a exe in windows).

Just Joined!

There is no INSTALL

Thanks for the links but ub the downloaded Linux firefox 1.5.0.4 version is no INSTALL. ./configure does not do anything "command not found".

./firefox tells me
    ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file in directory

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Firefox's tarball includes a binary, so you don't have to run ./configure, make, etc.

If ./firefox tells you you need libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0, then you need to install GTK. What distro are you using? You might not even have to use the tarball for Firefox if you're using certain distros; you can just use your package manager.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    Firefox's tarball includes a binary, so you don't have to run ./configure, make, etc.

If ./firefox tells you you need libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0, then you need to install GTK. What distro are you using? You might not even have to use the tarball for Firefox if you're using certain distros; you can just use your package manager.
    This sounds wonderful but I don't know what a distro is.

I installed the latest DSL 'damn small Linux' where do I find this information?

oz
    forum.guy
    A distro is a distribution. For instance, Damn Small Linux, Suse, Debian, and Fedora Core are all distributions.

If I remember correctly, for the package manager you might have to install it by right clicking the desktop, then Apps->Tools->Enable Apt. If this works, packages needed by the apt-get package manager will be downloaded and installed.

Then, you should be able to install Firefox by simply going to a terminal and running:

apt-get install firefox
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    A distro is a distribution. For instance, Damn Small Linux, Suse, Debian, and Fedora Core are all distributions.

If I remember correctly, for the package manager you might have to install it by right clicking the desktop, then Apps->Tools->Enable Apt. If this works, packages needed by the apt-get package manager will be downloaded and installed.

Then, you should be able to install Firefox by simply going to a terminal and running:

apt-get install firefox
    Enable Apt worked

But new problem:

After entering "apt-get install firefox" the following error occurred:

could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 permission denied)
    unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a HowTo for dealing with Apt-get errors:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...-erros.en.html

...and here's the HowTo for using Apt-get:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html
    oz