Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
no, what's that?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no, what's that?

Just Joined!
    oh... i get it... i am doing it... thx for ur reminding

Linux User
    well,when you boot to linux rescue your root filesystem is mounted at some mount(usually at /mnt/sysimage)
    so by using chroot /mnt/sysimage your root directory is changed to that of /mnt/sysimage
    I guess you would be told that at the end of the boot process...

regards

edit: oh cool,go ahead

Just Joined!
    No......

it goes back to the start...... i still cannot boot with windows... i get the same error messege...

i used "FIXMBR" after booting with windows installation cd on command prompt... and after that, i couldn't boot with windows... and i booted with linux rescue cd and mount the linux installation and used "chroot" and "grub-install"... and it goes back to the start...

Linux User
    I used partition magic under Windows XP, created a Linux partition, and inactivated the Windows partition
    inactivate?can you please explain what you did actually.

regards

Just Joined!
    OK... i was using "partition magic". there was an option called "install a new operating system". i clicked it. and under the instructions, i created a new linux partition, and inactivated the windows partition as required. and after i installed linux, i can't get access to windows anymore...

so if i boot with windows installation cd, i can see the partitions as follows:

F: Partition1 (Incactive (OS/2 Boot Man16308 MB ( 6238 MB free)
    C: Partition4 [NTFS] 10001 MB ( 5214 MB free)
    D: Partition5 [NTFS] 40006 MB ( 16321 MB free)
    G: Partition2 [unknown] 103 MB ( 101 MB free)
    -: Partition3 (Windows XP Fault Tolera 9899 MB ( 9899 MB free)

edit: and there's no hard disk management in the bios on this machine... so do you recommend me to use any hard disk management software or burn any rescue cds using the software to reactivate the windows partition?

Linux User
    and there's no hard disk management in the bios on this machine... so do you recommend me to use any hard disk management software or burn any rescue cds using the software to reactivate the windows partition?
    yeah,you have to find some way to reactivate the partition...
    might help:
    http://www.techadvice.com/tech/H/HardDriveFormat.htm

(may be someone has a better idea)
    do inform if you have any luck.

cheers

EDIT:there might be an option with fdisk to activate a partition

Just Joined!
    alrite~ thanks a lot

Just Joined!
    I need to know how to re-activate my windows partition. Could anyone gimme a piece of advice?

hi J Dizzle !!

Boot Magic didnt come up. it means, using Partition Magic, you just deactivated windows partition and didnt install Boot Magic. you didn't create rescue disks of partition magic either. first check this link and read carefully. http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windo...partition.html

download Ultimate Boot CD. this is link. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
    in UBCD menu ... choose F3 and then F option. now i am sure, you can reactivate partition.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast