Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
ya, i found a lot of tools in UBCD very useful... i tried a few of them... again, thank you, and thank rcgreen... it's so great to meet you guys ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking

ya, i found a lot of tools in UBCD very useful... i tried a few of them...

again, thank you, and thank rcgreen... it's so great to meet you guys in this forum. OK... I will learn more and try to b professional and help others in this forum(sounds very very childlike... but exactly what i'm thinking about at this moment)~~~

HAHA! it's a beautiful day!

Just Joined!

steps to install dualboot win n redhat9?

hi there all, sorry to hijack awhile ur post(dunno where to post a new thread,sorry), am new to linux. totally knew zero about linux, am trying to learn install redhat 9, but got problems.

i am tryin to do a dual boot here using win n redhat9..My question is..

1st) i install window xp pro, should i partition it using partition magic b4 i install redhat 9 ? or can i used the partition frm window xp pro to install linux?

2nd)can i start with linux 1st n partition with linux(jus like winxp)? IF can , then how to do it?

erm... is there a tutorial around here, i mean steps to install dualboot?

hi ufo3k !!

you can start a new thread by clicking on new thread button on upper left side... select correct forum before posting a new thread...
    1st) i install window xp pro, should i partition it using partition magic b4 i install redhat 9 ? or can i used the partition frm window xp pro to install linux?
    you can use partition magic or computer management tool in Administrative tasks of Xp.. i prefer computer mangement too.... delete a partition where you wanna install RH9... dont give any label or anything like that ... just delete it..
    2nd)can i start with linux 1st n partition with linux(jus like winxp)? IF can , then how to do it?
    well !! windows xp will create problems coz of 1024 cylinder restrictions..... delete partition and install RH9...
    RH9 will detect unpartitioned space... during installation dont change boot loader settings coz default settings work fine.. ( just make sure that it recognizes window as 'other OS' or 'windows' in boot loader settings....

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by ufo3k
    Yes, but you'll have to do some fudging in your grub.conf file (see the section on map option). That way you can have Linux first, then Windows 2nd.

As for dual boot tutorial, here is a simple one:
    1. Don't use Partition Magic.
    2. Install windows, during install, delete all partitions, and then create 1 partition of X GB. Where X is number of GB you want to allocate for Windows.
    3. Install windows on newly created partition.
    4. Once Windows is installed, Boot linux cd. Tell it to create partitions on unformatted space. The windows partition will be seen as hda1 (or sda1 if you use sata disks).
    5. During Linux install, tell it to install the bootloader (LILO or GRUB) to the MBR of the hard drive. This way, during boot you get to choose which OS to boot into.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Yes, but you'll have to do some fudging in your grub.conf file (see the section on map option). That way you can have Linux first, then Windows 2nd.

As for dual boot tutorial, here is a simple one:
    1. Don't use Partition Magic.
    2. Install windows, during install, delete all partitions, and then create 1 partition of X GB. Where X is number of GB you want to allocate for Windows.
    3. Install windows on newly created partition.
    4. Once Windows is installed, Boot linux cd. Tell it to create partitions on unformatted space. The windows partition will be seen as hda1 (or sda1 if you use sata disks).
    5. During Linux install, tell it to install the bootloader (LILO or GRUB) to the MBR of the hard drive. This way, during boot you get to choose which OS to boot into.
    thks alot guys, i haf successfully dual boot except doin no.5, erm... one problem, i dont understd wat no:5 mean.. wats a grub /lilo ,mbr???Does red hat9 recognize SATA harddrive?

All OS's have a bootloader which contains the location of the OS's kernel and other core system files which may need to be launched. The windows bootloader is set to a timeout of 0 sec, hence the reason why you don't see it during normal boot. GRUB and LILO are examples of bootloaders used by Linux systems, these can be configured to boot windows.

As for RH 9 and SATA, several posts on these forums indicate that it won't work. The reason for this is that RH 9 uses a 2.4 series of kernel (now several years old) which doesn't have SATA support by default. You can get SATA support on RH 9, but you'll need linux to be installed already and be confident of recompiling your kernel. The easiest thing to do is to get a Linux distro which uses a 2.6 series kernel, and if you are after a distro which is similar to RH, check out Fedora Core 5.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

hi !!

check grub.conf file...
    sometime '#' sign before 'hiddenmenu' hide GRUB...
    remove '#' from there ...

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4