Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hello everybody~~~ I installed FC5 a couple days ago... I used partition magic under Windows XP, created a Linux partition, and inactivated the Windows partition. However, after I succesfully installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Dual Booting with Windows

Hello everybody~~~

I installed FC5 a couple days ago... I used partition magic under Windows XP, created a Linux partition, and inactivated the Windows partition. However, after I succesfully installed FC5, I found impossible to boot from Windows...... After I choose Windows XP when booting, I get a error message as following:

STOP: c000021a{Fatal System Error}
    The Session Manager Initialization System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000003a(0x00000000 0x00000000).
    The system has been shutdown.

I guess this might have smth to do with the inactivated Windows partition. But I don't know how to reactivate it~~~~~~~~ Besides, I can't find any hard disk management functions in BIOS on this machine... Do I need other software to manage hard disk?

Please gimme a piece of advice. what to do and how to do~

Thank you in advance

This is COMPAQ Presario B2805.

during installation of 'partition magic' in windows... it asked for 'create recovery disks'. did u create those disks ???
    if yes, then u can boot through those disks and try to remove partition magic or activate windows...

use windows installation cd and select repair... on command prompt give this command :
    c:/> FIXMBR

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, I did not make any rescue cds. Now it seems I made a huge mistake...

What is that command FIXMBR for?

THX

boot thru windows installation cd and select repair...

on prompt give this command :

Code:
    c:/> FIXMBR

casper

Just Joined!
    oh... i'm sorry... i mean... what's the function of the command FIXMBR? after i type it, what would happen?

sorry for my bad english~~~~

its allright !!
    it will try to fix the master boot record... in most cases it works...
    if every thing works fine... then bootup thru Fedora installation CD/DVD.. type "linux rescue" and give this command...
    # grub-install

coz fixing MBR will corrupt GRUB and u have to reinstall it

casper

Just Joined!
    ok... i will try at once...

two primary partitions, is that gonna be ok?

because the windows partition is primary and was inactivated by "partition magic", and the linux partition sure is primary now... so after FIXMBR fix the master boot record, would there be two primary partitions?

I'm not familiar with disk...paritition stuff.......... hehe~~~
    thank u very much~~~~

it should work fine....

actually 'partition magic' installed its boot loader 'boot magic' and deactivated windows partition... you also installed Fedora's boot loader GRUB.

now you have two boot loaders... GRUB of Fedora and Boot Magic of Partition magic...
    Fixmbr will remove GRUB... and on reboot, most probably boot magic will come up and activate windows....
    well !! if everything works fine........ you can remove boot magic and reinstall grub as i wrote in last post.........

casper

Just Joined!
    OK. i used FIXMBR. and now if i boot, there will be an error message saying can't find the operating system...

and i inserted linux rescue cd, typed "linux rescue". now i am trying to use grub-install, i typed "grub-install" and it says "install_device not specified". and i tried "grub-install /dev/hda" it says "sbin/grub: Not found."

what am i supposed to do right now?

Linux User
    did you do a chroot /mnt/sysimage as required

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast