Find the answer to your Linux question:
im a real noob so detail instructions would be appreciated.....i currently have installed windows XP on a 20GB NTFS partition and have another 20GB partition for Windows data....maybe be in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windows XP with Mandriva

im a real noob so detail instructions would be appreciated.....i currently have installed windows XP on a 20GB NTFS partition and have another 20GB partition for Windows data....maybe be in Fat32 so i can transfer files between OS's.
    i currently tried to install ubuntu with it and i restarted after installing and cant get into either operating systems..

error 5 with GRUB....

im going to somehow format the current linux partition then i want to install mandriva....

what do i do so that when i reboot i can choose which OS to boot with......

Thank you in advance........if theres any more information required...please dont hesitate to ask.

if you are able boot up windows then you can format linux partitions using computer management tools in Administrative tools of control panel...
    during installation of Mandriva or Ubuntu... check boot manager.... it automatically detects windows... you dont have to change anything... !!

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    when i installed ubuntu i was going through a tutorial and it said some things about copying the bootsector to a floppy disk and botting with that and something to do with changing the boot.ini file in windows....which i couldnt do because my floppy drive wouldnt mount.....not i cant get into windows or linux....but i think i might have a floppy disk with fdisk....
    cant do it at the moment...the computer isnt where i am...

you have two option...

1. use Linux's default boot loader "GRUB" ( u can choose lilo too)
    or
    2. edit windows boot.ini file as you mentioned in the post

i would suggest you GRUB only.. boot.ini create a lot of problems...

check this link http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...-core-5-a.html

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First