Find the answer to your Linux question:
both my cd-drives are pretty much dead, so was wondering if any of you fine folks could give me a recomendation on a distro to install via floppy. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Content Team

Good Linux to install but no cd drives

both my cd-drives are pretty much dead, so was wondering if any of you fine folks could give me a recomendation on a distro to install via floppy. I have a usb hardrive which i can put files on if that helps, and an ethernet connection. remember that I have NO CD drives (the boot floppies with cd drivers worked for a bit but no longer work)

Linux User
    so was wondering if any of you fine folks could give me a recomendation on a distro to install via floppy. I have a usb hardrive which i can put files on if that helps, and an ethernet connection.

you could try 'network installation'.many distros have this facility.

regards

oz
    forum.guy
    Another would be Arch Linux: http://archlinux.org/
    oz

Content Team
    I tried debians floppy install but it could only install sarge which is too outdated. everytime i tried to upgrade to etch, it wouldn't get the 2.6 kernel and X was configured to get the 2.6 but debian wouldnt let me get 2.6 so i just started to get slackware running with the cd, but my drives quit in the middle of the install.

I might just try and install arch linux. but exactly what .img files do i need from its FTP: site? just root&boot, or are there others?

ok i booted it up, but have had no luck loading the eth-addon modules from my floppy... what is the command?

Content Team
    ok installed the base AOK. but am having problems getting gnome & gdm loaded.