Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed Suse 8.1 on a Compaq Proliant ML370 with dual CPU's. The Kernal it is currently using is: 2.4.19-4GB My NIC card will not work because when I issue ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wrong Kernal for nic drivers, change?

I've installed Suse 8.1 on a Compaq Proliant ML370 with dual CPU's. The Kernal it is currently using is:

2.4.19-4GB

My NIC card will not work because when I issue a "insmod eepro100", I get a message back that I'm on the wrong kernel:

eepro100.0: kernel-module version mismatch
    eepro100.0 was compiled for kernel version 2.4.19-64GB-SMP

All I did was a basic install, Suse chose the kernel for installation. When I issue a modprobe, it says it can't find the eepro100.0 module, so I checked the directory and it was looking for it in the "/lib/modules/2.4.19-4GB/kernel/drivers/net" directory, but what I have is the "/lib/modules/2.4.19-64BG-SMP/kernel/drivers/net" directory.

Is there anyway to fix this? Should I re-install and if so, how would it end up any different? We are testing the replacement of this Windwos 2000 server to Linux, so any help would be great... I would love to not go back to Win2k.

Thanks

Try this:

Code:
    su -
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make modules modules_install
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    LOL - It asked me a TON of questions of which almost all of them I took the default because I had no idea what to do with them. I understood what they were, but I didn't know what difference it would make if I answered "M" or yes/no.

It's compiling... I'll let you know if it worked.

Just Joined!
    Ok, here's another question on this install. Everytime it boots, it get's to "partition check ida/c0d0" and stops. How can I skip this or get past it?

The only way to boot up is place the Suse CD in and let it boot to install, then tell it to boot an installed system.