Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to linux and the concept of compiling programs. I have got 2 disk with the binaries on them, how do i install the OS?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Installing Slackware 9.1

I am new to linux and the concept of compiling programs.

I have got 2 disk with the binaries on them, how do i install the OS?

put cd 1 in the cdrom drive, reboot the computer and follow the instructions on the screen. Shouldn't be that hard.

If you get stuck, www.slackware.com/book is a good place to hunt down information!

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    is there any configuration needed at setup, it seems that the instructions are a bit vague?

Just Joined!
    not at all, i dont think it is, it is as simple as 123 for any comptuer user like you, are you going to install it on a blank hard drive or have some OS already installed on it? if no then go ahead, you cant swim until you get into the water

Best of luck!

Linux Newbie
    i was thinking of using it to make a dual boot with windows 2000, i did this with redhat linux by installing windows first and then linux so i could use GRUB for the boot loader, can i do the same with slackware or would i need to use LILO?

AFAIK Slackware doesn't include GRUB, but that's no worrie because it suck anyways (just kidding )

And yes, its possible to do so

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    ok what do i use instead of grub? LILO? and how would i go about setting this up, i did the boot loader setup through the installation of redhat linux before, would i do the same through the installation of slackware?

Yes, Slackware uses LILO. If you somehow screwed things up at installtime, just boot using the slackware cdrom (how to do it is displayed at the very first screen that appears) and run the utility "liloconfig". Just choose to make it install it self on MBR, and you should be fine!

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    ok thanks