Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to install linux on a compaq evo d5pm. I dont have time to search through 151 pages of threads so im asking for a nice person to explain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux for compaq

Im trying to install linux on a compaq evo d5pm. I dont have time to search through 151 pages of threads so im asking for a nice person to explain or link to a page that can explain which distribution to use and how to install. And yes i am new to linux.

hi! welcome to the forums and to linux

you can install pretty much any linux distribution on that computer. its simply your choice.
    maybe start with the mainstream distros, like Fedora Core, SUSE or Mandriva.

it is common for new comers to try out several different distros and see which one suits their needs best.

i tried out about five or six distros myself before chosing the one i liked most.

what are you planning on using the computer for?
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Just Joined!
    i was thinking of starting a small network since i have several compaq evo's(4) and starting with a linux router.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well, go ahead and make your pick then! install, and if you have any extra problems, we'll help

ps: the previously mentioned distros are also nomaly the most complete (bu also the heaviest). if ou wind theat they dont perform very well you could use a lighter linux version (but still fully featured) like VectorLinux. (www.vectorlinux.com)

also, how much ram and disk space do you have?
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Just Joined!
    all the computers are the same, p4 1.5ghz, 1gig ram, 80gb hd, 32mb graphics. i installed smoothwall on 1 for ease and the hardware auto detecting, but i cannot login to admin from http or https. It is behind a linksys router setup for dhcp. i have 2 nics, i selected the green + red config and id like to connect the red to the router and the green to a hub, in turn connected to the other 3 machines. any suggestions as to wats wrong? or even a better way of doing it?

also: when setting up the network config for green + red, for green it asked for an ip address and subnet mask, will this be the ip of the smoothwall machine or the ip of the computer/hub inside my mini network? for red it asked for static, dhcp, or pppoe, will this be how the smoothwall machine connects to my router or how my mini network connects to my smoothwall machine?

also: i was able to ping the ip i set to green, without a computer connected to my 2nd nic. so i assume this is the ip of the smoothwall machine; however since im new to unix commandline i have not been able to find a log that shows the pinging

well, once you have installed what you want ten proceed with network debugging.
    any of the above mentioned will detect your hardware.

Just Joined!
    i switched to ipcop which seems to be more of what i was looking for, and everything is up and running