Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I've taken a couple of days off work to rebuild my beloved laptop, I'm going the whole hog (or should that be penguin?) this time and having 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Partition Strategy for WinXP/Ubuntu/Backtrack

Hi Guys,

I've taken a couple of days off work to rebuild my beloved laptop, I'm going the whole hog (or should that be penguin?) this time and having 2 different distro's as well as XP (I know, I know) on it.

I'm installing Windoze XP Pro, Ubuntu, and Backtrack.

My laptop has a 60Gb UDM100 drive in it, and 512Mb DDR SDRAM.

My question is this: What would be the best partitioning strategy to use when I'm installing the different Operating Systems?

Concious of the fact that Windoze is horribly bloated (as is most of the software that comes with it) I had considered something like:

XPPro: 30Gb
    Ubuntu: 20Gb
    Backtrack: 10Gb

I know that there need to be additional smaller partitions within the Linux partitions, if someone could give me some idea of the 'ideal' sizes for those as well I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Linux Guru
    It's very much personal preference, there are a million ways to do it. Personally I prefer ReiserFS so this affects my decision. I don't use seperate /usr or /opt partitions anymore because it has backfired on me but always keep /tmp seperate from the system root to avoid space and security issues. Because I use reiser I keep my boot partition seperate on ext3 to be safe. My partitions would look somethign like this -
    Code:
    /boot	100MB	ext3
    /tmp	1GB	reiserfs
    /	2GB	reiserfs
    swap	512MB-1GB
    /home	(remaining free space in reiserfs also)
    Also remember to use an extended partition type, as you will run out of primary partitions otherwise.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 07-27-2006 at 12:58 PM.

That makes sense (well.....once I'd Googled 'ReiserFS ).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Just thought of something else.....

Is it simply a case of:

1. Format drive, set up partition for Windoze
    2. Install Windoze
    3. Install Ubuntu
    4. Install Backtrack

And letting the Backtrack installation sort out the fact that Ubuntu and Windoze are alreday on there? Or will I have problems with the bootloader (have I got the right word there?)?

I think I already know that this is going to be trickier than I thought. I can find plenty of stuff regrading dual-booting (I've even managed to set it up once for myself) but I'm guessing that triple-booting is going to be more tricky