Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so I've got a dual boot system with Windows Xp and a linux distro (I had Fedora 5 initially, then tried Ubuntu). My problem is that my ethernet card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network card problems

Ok, so I've got a dual boot system with Windows Xp and a linux distro (I had Fedora 5 initially, then tried Ubuntu). My problem is that my ethernet card is not able to connect to the internet in either distro. My card is integrated with my mother board (MSI K9N-Neo). The funny thing is that both distros detect my card, but Fedora can't activate it when I go to network preferences. Ubuntu can detect and activate the card, but I still can't connect to the internet (it doesn't retrieve the DHCP info automatically even though it is set to do so).

So, do I need to find some kind of a driver or something, cause I tried MSI and NVIDIA's websites to find some, but MSI didn't have any for linux and the only one that NVIDIA had for linux was for nForce 430/410 mobos, but my mobo is 550. I read on some post that Windows does something to the network card that makes linux unable to use it, but I never had this problem when I put it on an old laptop I had, so I don't know what they were talking about.

Any ideas?

I doubt windows somehow rendered your nic unusable in linux. What window manager are you using? (KDE/Gnome/etc) And what distro? (Still Ubuntu?)
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Just Joined!
    Gnome, Ubuntu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close