Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have deep freeze running on one of our computers at school with 6 gig hard drives and all of it is reserved for windows. The thawspace is 1 gig ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux install on a deep freeze sys?

We have deep freeze running on one of our computers at school with 6 gig hard drives and all of it is reserved for windows. The thawspace is 1 gig and is part of the windows partition. We want to install linux without removing deep freeze. If that isn't possible...any suggestions on how to bypass deep freeze within windows?

I have never heard of 'deep freeze', but it is possible to dual boot Linux with Windows. You can read Windows files from within a Linux 'distro'. There are many different Linux operating systems which you could try. I like Knoppix because it has excellent hardware detection and you can boot it from a CD without even having to install it.

This forum has a section on dual booting (see under tutorials). Read and learn! :o
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux User
    Deep freeze is a program that basically restores defaults on every reboot. So if you change anything on the system, resolution, filenames ect it will set them back when it reboots. The thawspace is the place where you can save files and such, it's actually a pretty good way to keep kids from screwing around on the comps. I'm sorry to say but if the whole drive is taken up by windows you'd have to resize the one partition and make a seperate one for Linux.

Just Joined!

I resized partition and installed Mepis

I have Deep Freeze on windows on one of my PCs and dual boot with Mepis, this distro has Qpart a very easy to use partitioning tool to resize windows with.