Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI, friends Can any one help me to get fedora core 5 x86_64 to installed on my new PC already its running with windows XP & 15 GB has been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 5 installation hangs

HI, friends

Can any one help me to get fedora core 5 x86_64 to installed on my new PC already its running with windows XP & 15 GB has been kept free for fedora

PC h/w details

P4 3.06 Intel with HT & EM64 support
    sata Samsung 80GB HDD
    256 MB DDR ram

I first tried to install fedora5 x86_64 using a ISO image
    every thing went fine till the package customizing but after that system get hang on checking dependency even the minimum installation did not went fine it stuck at the same point dependency check

After that i tried installing the same with CD it went fine & I was successful in installing but while rebooting it hang while logging
    I did not succeed in logging once

Did you test the CDs to make sure they all worked properly before installing? Maybe try to install just the base system first - then when you're up and running install any desired apps through yum or from the CDs.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNeat
    Did you test the CDs to make sure they all worked properly before installing? Maybe try to install just the base system first - then when you're up and running install any desired apps through yum or from the CDs.
    yes CDs r fine i have selected media check before installation..
    yesterday i tried installing in text mode "linux text" option every thing went smooth

& i was able to use the system. also installed many applications during installation.

i think problem happens when i try to install in normal mod tat is graphical mode
    it has detected H/W properly but no idea what is goin wrong

So you successfully installed Core 5 and it's up and running?

Now you can use the "yum" package manager to install desired programs. For example to install qtparted just use the command:
    Code:
    yum install qtparted
    in a terminal as root.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Just Joined!
    When i am doing the media test of FC5 1st cd it shows:

BUG:spinlock recursion on cpu#0,swapper/0(not tainted) lock:c0350fa0, .magic:dead4ead, .owner:swapper/0, .owner_cpu:0

If i skip the test then after few secs a blank screen will be displayed and at this stage my system doesnt respond so i have to restart the system.

When i am installing FC4 1st cd it shows(even if skip media test):

kernal panic- not syncing: drivers/ide/pci/atiixp.c : 129:spin_lock(drivers/ide/ide.c:c03de668) already locked by drivers /ide/ide-iops.c/1235 (not tainted)
    this problem of FC4 is not solved even if i use "linux dcpi=off" at the "BOOT:" prompt. but this is solved if i use "linux ide=nodma" and the installation for FC4 begins.

When i am installing PCQ LINUX 2006 1st cd every thing goes fine and my system hangs on displaying "READING PACKAGE INFORMATION..." on the screen.
    I have to restart my system.

When i am installing SOLARIS 10 the following things happen:
    Running cofiguration Assistant...
    error: 64 bit len unsupported
    The root filesystem is not mounted and the cofiguration assistant has exited prematurely.

Booting is unlikely to succeed. ctrl-alt-del may be used to reset the machine.
    Failover to boot interpreter - type ctrl-d to resume boot
    ( when i press ctrl-d )
    cannot load drivers for
    (can't load the root file system)
    press any key to reboot.

My computer configuration is:
    P4 3.06 GHz cpu
    1 GB ram
    intel D101 mother board
    PATA hard disk
    Sony DVD Writer

Just Joined!

Similar Problem AMD x64 Dual Core

Hi Guys!
    I'm having similar problems to you.

I'm trying - with no success so far - to install FC5 on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 system. The order of events is like the following - has anyone found a solution?

1: Insert CD into drive and boot. Fedora FC5 welcome screen appears without problem.
    2: Enter "linux text" (as I don't want it using my VGA).
    3: System "hangs" - log console tells me it's trying to mount CD.
    4: Open CD drawer and next dialog immediately appears.
    5: Close CD drawer and answer locale, keyboard and install source questions.
    6: System "hangs" again - console tells me it's trying to mount CD.
    7: After 10-15 minutes - system does an ATAPI reset and package install dialogs appear.
    8: After committing to the chosen install sets get the "Starting Install Process" message and system "hangs" again - trying to "switch" CD's.

This situation can extend for several tens of minutes before the package install actually gets going.

Once the system is busy copying the packages across it flies like greased lightning until suddenly doing a kernel panic.

All the media passed the media checks. I've even used my Windoze box to do a copy to hard disk and verify from the CD images that there are no corruptions.

I think there are several issues at work here:

1) I think the CD mounts take so long because there are 2 processes running on the two cores of the CPU and they are fighting for the CD.
    2) The log console reports some Python kit as being "deprecated" expecting an integer parameter but getting a float - this smacks of an install bug.
    3) The kernel panic - as reported by other people too - is a bug in the x86_64 kernel build and not a medium problem.

Does anyone agree with my findings - has anyone found a/some solution(s).
    Does anyone know of a way to instruct the install kernel not to initialise BOTH cores of the CPU? This would be a way to keep the processing linear and prevent resource conflicts.

If anyone can help/sympathise I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Ian.

Just Joined!

problem installing fedora 5 on dell pentium D

Hello guys,

I also am having the same problem installing fodora 5 i386,

I am sure the cd media is ok, and the system hungs when
    checking dependences for custazing software packages,
    or send the message

An error occurred unounting the CD. Please make sure you're not no accessing /mnt/source from shell on tty2

and ask to click OK to retry but never pass it.

could any one help me?

Just Joined!

Update on CD mount problems ...

Hi Arodelo!

My biggest problem - after about a week or more of testing and working round - seems to have been a duff mobo! I referred the problems I was having to the vendor and they took it back and tested it and gave me a refund. I bought a new A8N-Sli Premium and *** SO FAR *** this one seems to be behaving OK but, like you, the CD still doesn't dismount properly during a boot from CD and the system hangs at the install just before the language menu.

Are you running a dual core CPU? I'm not convinced this isn't a contributory reason. Ejecting the CD makes the menu appear correctly but subsequent CD mounts then still fail and I'm still left with my own intra-net being the best source of software install and upgrade. I recommend you to try that route yourself. The setup for network based installation is very easy - if you have a second computer on your network. It takes AGES for the install to run - but at least you get a working system!

Keep us informed how you get on. It may be that the FC5 x86_64 install needs some Fedora attention and tweaking! You could try running the install with the kernel command line "linux maxcpus=1" and see how that goes. (I'll try this myself now actually).

Regards,
    Ian

Just Joined!

Maxcpu=1

Doesn't make any difference!
    Just a thought ....