Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all. I have a Power Macintosh G3 (Baige). I would like to install GNU/Debian Linux but I have a major problem. The cd-drive is broken. I cant boot or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

PPC + Debian

Hey all.
    I have a Power Macintosh G3 (Baige). I would like to install GNU/Debian Linux but I have a major problem. The cd-drive is broken. I cant boot or mount anything(in mac os 9). I have read about doing it by floppy on debian.com. I have burnt a few images to floppy and cant seem to boot any. Am I right in saying you dont need to hit any certain keys to boot from floppy? What image should I be using?

Make sure you're making a boot floppy for the PowerPC (PPC) version of Debian, and not the regular X86 version. I'm not sure what key combinations you need to boot from a floppy on a Beige G3, but I imagine Google would be able to tell you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    It is definetly the ppc version I am booting from.
    Futher reading shows how 3rd party optical drives won't be able to boot on the mac, which shows why the CD drive dont work.
    As for the boot keys, I have tried a few that I have found but non worked. But this may be because I have the wrong boot disk in...