Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have installed Suse 10.1 on my PC for the first time and i have Problems in starting the XWindows. My PC already had Win XP installed on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Not able to start XWindows in Suse 10.1

Hi All,

I have installed Suse 10.1 on my PC for the first time and i have Problems in starting the XWindows.

My PC already had Win XP installed on it. I have no problem in using my PC with WinXP. I have installed Suse 10.1 by carving out some space in my HardDisk.

The Suse Installation was fine. Once installed the system rebooted and i was not able to get the Xwindow Screen (I repeated this several time and failed to get Xwindows GUI Login Screen), then i did a reboot PC and used the safe mode or the fault safe mode in the boot option (in grub), now i was able to login in the the comand mode (non gui). I am able to use the system in the command mode but,

My REAL Problem is that I am not able to start Xwindows in suse Linux 10.1 .
    Has anyone faced a similar Problem ??

If i try to start the Xwindows using the command "startx" i am getting a very blurred screen (some junk pixels with blurred colors).

My CPU is brand new but my Monitor is 5 yrs old.

My Monitors Specs are as follows ::

Make and Type : LG Studioworks 563N
    Max resolution : 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
    Flicker Free Resolutions :
    1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
    800 x 600 @ 85 Hz
    720 x 400 @ 70 Hz
    680 x 480 @ 85 Hz
    Horizontal Refresh : 30-61 Hz
    Vertical Refresh : 50-120 Hz
    Pixel Frequency : 78MHz
    CRT Pitch : 0.28mm
    Auto Sync Support : 640x480 to 1024x768@75Hz

Do i need to change some default settings in the suse to make my monitor work with Suse ???? or is somthing else wrong ???

I did not face any Installation Problem while installing Suse 10.1

Can anyone help me in figuring out the problem ??

thanks in advance,
    Sudhir.Voona

hi sudhir.voona !!

boot up in fail safe mode.... check /etc/X11/xorg.conf file......
    look out for Section 'Screen'.... change screen resolution and refresh rate suitable for your monitor.........

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Not able to start XWindows in Suse 10.1

Hi,

Thanks for u r prompt response.

I referred my monitor manual and found all the entries in the 'screen' section to be correct. what shall i do ??

how can know the correct values ??

regards,
    Sudhir

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi sudhir.voona !!!

well !! if screen section's entries are correct .. change refresh rate of HorizSync and VertRefresh in 'Monitor' section.... monitor manual is the best source to get correct values.. you can try changing these values in a given range.....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Can anyone help me out of this Xwindows Display Problem in Suse 10.1 ???

Hi,

I have been Changing the Screen and Monitor sections of my xorg.cong,
    I even calculated a new Modeline using some tool available on the net. But I am not able to figure out the exact values which will make my motitor work.

How Can I do that ??? any clues ??

Previously I installed Fedora Core 4 and its was having no probs with display, but it was not able to detect the sound card. So, I had to install Suse 10.1 , Suse had detected the Sound Card but has Problems with Display !!!

Can u give me some suggestion for a hustle free Suse 10.1 installtion ??

How can I find the exact xorg configuration for my Xwindows to work ???

All the Information related to my Monitor is present in my earlier Post.

I tried Install Fedora Core 5 but Failed !!

After the blue screen which prompts for the Intalllation type (Xwindows / console mode Install) There is no display at all. I think its the same problem with XWindows.

But My Question is how can Fedora Core 4 Detect the Monitor settings correctly, where as Suse 10.1 and FC5 fail. They are more recent and much improved as claimed ???

Can anyone help me out of this Xwindows Display Problem in suse 10.1 ???

Thanks in Advance !!

regards,
    Sudhir

Just Joined!

Display Problem

I don't think the problem is the monitor. In the /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the section "Device" change the driver from whatever it currently is to "vesa" which should at least get the display working even though it's a generic driver. Also in the "Modes" section, I would recommend removing any resolutions that your monitor can't handle, just to be sure it won't try and use them.

Quote Originally Posted by rodhuffaker
    I don't think the problem is the monitor. In the /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the section "Device" change the driver from whatever it currently is to "vesa" which should at least get the display working even though it's a generic driver. Also in the "Modes" section, I would recommend removing any resolutions that your monitor can't handle, just to be sure it won't try and use them.
    Actually, the problem could very well be the graphics card. Which are you using?? Most of the ATI cards were not supported by Suse 10.1, especially the Radeon 7000....mine refuses to work.