Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm requesting help with the installation of NVidia drivers for my Linux Mandrake 9.0 setup (kernel 2.4.19-16mdk). I have tried installation with the tar files of both the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nvidia driver installation woes

Hi all, I'm requesting help with the installation of NVidia drivers for my Linux
    Mandrake 9.0 setup (kernel 2.4.19-16mdk). I have tried installation with the tar
    files of both the 3123 and 4191 versions, ie
    NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.tar.gz
    NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.tar.gz
    NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.tar.gz
    NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.tar.gz
    I have the kernel source installed on my machine. My machine is an AMD Duron 1G, Nvidia GeForce2MX400

After I install everything login again and restart X, I get the NVidia splash
    screen and then a black screen with the black X.....permanently. The X can move
    with the mouse, but she aint going to do anything else. I have to restart the
    comp with the restart button and reinstall Mandrake with a fresh reinstall. To
    install the drivers I do as follows:

tar -xvzf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191/3123.tar.gz
    tar -xvzf NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191/3123.tar.gz
    cd NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191/3123
    make install
    cd ../NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191/3123
    make install

all this done as root and without having X operating ie text input.

I then use vi to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change Driver "nv" to Driver
    "nvidia" as per Nvidia instructions. Load "glx" is already present, Load "dri"
    and Load "GLcore" are not present. (Nvidia instruct to remove these if they are
    present).

The result of doing all this is a black screen with a black X. The black X can
    move pretty fast when I move the mouse fast...I wonder if that is the benefit of
    OpenGL

I have also tried the following that I gleaned off some forums:

add
    alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
    alias char-major-195
    to /etc/modules.conf
    cd /lib/modules/2.4.19-16md (my kernel)
    depmod -ae
    Restart X

Guess what?? The mouse still moves the black X pretty fast.

Oh yeah, I have also tried the following:

#cd /usr/X11R6/lib
    #ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so libGL.so.1.2 && ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so
    # /sbin/ldconfig
    #reboot

Even the mouse failed to perform.

Any help will be appreciated. I am a Linux newbie like you wouldn't believe.
    John

Linux Guru
    That's not the problem. From what you're describing, the drivers and X are working perfectly. It's just that no applications are started on the display. What you're describing is exactly as if you just started X by running "X". Is that what you've done?
    Anyway, you need not reinstall your entire system. Whenever you're in X, just press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get back to your first text terminal.
    Anyway, do you really get this empty display even when rebooting your computer?

Just Joined!
    Yep, that might be my problem then. I do simply type in X.....doh!! I'll give it another shot. Thx Dolda.
    What do I type in to start KDE? I'm kinda suspecting the answer to that will be .....kde, but I thought I'd better ask
    John

Linux Guru
    The best way is to put your system in runlevel 5, so that it will start automatically upon boot. Check your /etc/inittab and look for the line beginning with "id:". The number between the first and second colon specifies what runlevel to enter at boot time. If it isn't already 5, replace the current number with five, then run "telinit 5". If it was already 5, just reboot your system.