Find the answer to your Linux question:
Awhile back I had what I think was a corrupt event log file that seriously messed up my hard drive, but I used the Windows scandisk utility and it apparently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bad Sector in NTFS Partition

Awhile back I had what I think was a corrupt event log file that seriously messed up my hard drive, but I used the Windows scandisk utility and it apparently fixed the bad sector and the hard drive stopped behaving strangely. Unfortunately, as I was using qtparted in Knoppix to resize the Windows NTFS partition in order to make room for a dual boot arrangement, I got the an error which said that there was at least one bad sector in the volume. Is this probably the result of the earlier corrupted sector that windows supposedly fixed, or is it possible that I am making some sort of dumb mistake in qtparted? If there is a bad sector on the hard drive, is there any way to resize the partition (using Partition Magic maybe?).

As the years go by a get the feeling that when the OS says it "fixes" the bad sector, it means that it just ignores it and writes stuff elsewhere...so it's not strange that qtparted complains about it... I think that Partition Magic can handle these problems but when you install on the new partition perform a complete scan just to be sure

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably pick up Partition Magic sometime in the near future, but I was anxious to see what would happen if I tried to install one of the Linux distros that can resize partitions as part of installation. I tried installing the Xandros distro and it had no problem at all resizing the troublesome NTFS partition. I wonder why qtparted had problems?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close