Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto a 40Gb hard drive with one large NTFS partition for Windows. When I get to the partition hard drives part in the installation it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cannot create partitions for Linux

I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto a 40Gb hard drive with one large NTFS partition for Windows. When I get to the partition hard drives part in the installation it won't let me resize the NTFS partition and make 2 new partitions for Ubuntu and swap. I tried a bunch of partitioning programs (partition magic and the like) but they won't let me resize due to bad blocks.

How do I resize the partition?

And I did read the sticky but I couldn't understand it

hi Meliv !!!

you can resize NTFS from windows itself and i think its the best way...

Control Panel ---> Administrative tools ---> computer management ---> disk management

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I'm not seeing any way to make partitions on my drive here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If your drive has bad blocks you should get rid of it. It is
    getting ready to fail.

That definatly wasn't what I wanted to hear

I actually had the same problem (see "Bad Sector in NTFS Partition") when I tried to use qtparted to resize the Windows partition. I was thinking about picking up Partition Magic to see if it could handle the problem, but in the meantime, I decided to try a different trick. A bunch of Linux distros (e.g. Mandriva, SUSE, Xandros) can resize the Windows partition during installation, so I tried installing the Xandros distro. It had no problem resizing the offending partition and installed perfectly. If you want to use Ubuntu afterwards, I suppose you can just remove the distro and put Ubuntu into the space cleared out by the other distro.

Good plan, but unfortunatly I lack a CD-R and no partition programs are helping me

Just Joined!
    Alternating between Essex and Norfolk, both in England.
    I had a similar problem. In the end, I found that I could do the whole job using GParted, QTParted, and fdisk. BUT I had to switch back and forth between the three to find which one could do the next step each time. Yes, I did do the "Commit" or whatever after each.

I had Fedora on a second hard drive on the machine, which made it a lot easier.

It's all done now, and my drives are all partitioned so that I can install several distros (and Win XP for those tricky problems).

It's now eagerly installing Debian Sarge on hdb1, via ftp. XP Pro and Fedora Core 5 are already there. I think hdb2 is going to become Ubuntu.

I currently don't have any Linux distros installed, only Windows