Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have one of the Knoppix LiveCD's (v. 3.3), and I tried to install it to my hard drive the way it said to do it in the documentation (something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Live CD Problems

I have one of the Knoppix LiveCD's (v. 3.3), and I tried to install it to my hard drive the way it said to do it in the documentation (something like copy everything from the ramdisk to the newly formatted ext2 hard drive and edit lilo.conf and run LILO and some other stuff), but I can't seem to figure out how to configure LILO (I found /etc/lilo.conf and edited it) It wants me to do something with fstab. I decided to get GRUB, but it won't compile. I don't know much about partitioning, and I don't have a CD burner to back up everything on the drive (the newly formatted ext2 hard drive now has over 5 GB of stuff on it so floppy disks are not a good idea). Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get past any of these or write a Linux distribution (no really)? Hopefully thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sltd
    I have one of the Knoppix LiveCD's (v. 3.3), and I tried to install it to my hard drive the way it said to do it in the documentation (something like copy everything from the ramdisk to the newly formatted ext2 hard drive and edit lilo.conf and run LILO and some other stuff),...
    Whoa there! Back up a second. Knoppix 3.3 is two years old, and in Linux terms that's ancient. The newest version of Knoppix available now (version 5.0.1) has a significantly easier harddrive installation method. I'd recommend going with that.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Whoa there! Back up a second. Knoppix 3.3 is two years old, and in Linux terms that's ancient. The newest version of Knoppix available now (version 5.0.1) has a significantly easier harddrive installation method. I'd recommend going with that.
    I know it's old. I don't have an internet connection on that machine, and I have dial-up on the other machine, which explains why I don't have version 5 or even close. I do, however, have the source for a 2.6 kernel. But I can't compile it for some reason (I'm obviously not using that computer right now, but I got menuconfig to work!!!) Anyway . . . I just want to be able to boot from my hard drive and have some idea why it boots from the hard drive before I start to do something with the LFS book that I have. I also want to wrie a window manager and a desktop, but, since I've read some of the posts about that, I don't think I'm going to throw that out here . . .

If you have some kind of a suggestion for manually installing the Linux Kernel, I would love to have the newer kernel (I only got it a few months ago . . . so I'm around 40, maybe?) so I can install NVU. . . and everything else. I'm thinking of calling the new distro Albinix. I'm supposed to be done, but obviously I'm not. So if anyone has any suggestions about anything I've said, I'm glad to hear it. By the way, how do you get to put up a picture like that?

Quote Originally Posted by sltd
    I know it's old. I don't have an internet connection on that machine, and I have dial-up on the other machine, which explains why I don't have version 5 or even close.
    Ouch. I can relate to that. Are you in any hurry, and are you particularly attached to Knoppix? Ubuntu is a Debian-based LiveCD distribution that will actually mail you CDs to your house for free. They just take a while to come in because they're shipping from Sweden or some such place.

By the way, how do you get to put up a picture like that?
    You can set an avatar by clicking on the "User CP" link at the very top left corner of this page, then going to "Edit Avatar" where you'll be able to link to or upload a picture (provided it fits the Forum Rules governing proper avatars).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm a big fan of the Knoppix Live-CD and have installed it to the hard drive but don't really recommend that process anymore. Instead, I'd look at Ubuntu (as suggested by techieMoe) for a hard drive install. Another option might be Mepis, which used to be based on Debian, but now relates more directly to Ubuntu.

If you really want to stick with Knoppix, you'd probably have better luck with a newer version.
    oz