Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello All, I have a huge problem I have one hard drive on my laptop partitioned. I already had windows on it and i installed fedora core 4. I then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't get rid of Fedora Core 4 URGENT!!

Hello All,

I have a huge problem I have one hard drive on my laptop partitioned. I already had windows on it and i installed fedora core 4. I then tried to remove it by simply formatting the partition from windows but then when the laptop rebooted it went crazy because it couldnt find fedora core 4. i then installed fedora core 4 again and i think (cant be sure) the hard drive is fully fedora 4 (no more partitions) but i cant be sure! i cant run my windows recovery cd because it says theres not enough room on my hard drive. I dont have an original windows xp cd only my backup one that came with my acer laptop. I need to completly remove linux from my laptop and get windows back on there can someone ANYONE please tell me how to do this? I also had to buy a mouse as linux didnt recognise my touchpad!

hi tmns !!!

if FC4 didnt remove windows then you can recover it using rescue cd only...
    just boot through it and on prompt type

c:\> FIXMBR

if this not work then most probably FC4 erased windows... use fdisk to remove and create new partitions.
    you can use bootable windows floopy too... you can download bootable floppy from

www.bootdisk.com

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Here's what I think happened initially: there are two things that happen when you install Linux in a dual-boot configuration alongside Microsoft Windows. The first is it installs the actual OS in the free partition you created. The second is it installs a Linux bootloader (GRUB or LILO usually) onto the Master Boot Record of your harddrive.

To remove Linux you must address both of these things. You deleted the partition but did not clean out your Master Boot Record. When you reinstalled and wiped the drive to be Fedora-only, you lost any data that was left on your Microsoft Windows installation.

To clean up your Master Boot Record, boot with your MS Windows installation CD like you're going to reinstall. When it asks if you'd like to go to a Recovery Console, do it. Then at the prompt type FIXMBR and answer yes to any questions it asks. This is all that you need to do in the future to remove the Linux bootloader and restore your Microsoft Windows installation, IF you did not already wipe the Windows partition like you seem to have done here.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hello,

to be honest i have no idea what ive done. i cant use the recovery cd it wont let me at all it just says that theres not enough room which makes me think the whole hd is in the linux format the recovery cd only copied the windows xp files over in its own program and starts the installation from the Select Country, Select Language and Select Keyboard. there is no where that i can type anything in. when installing linux it said something about the Master Boot Record... could this have something to do with it? i dont know how to use fdisk or anything really i have made a real mess....

Just Joined!
    techieMoe I think you are correct so how can i fix the MBR from linux? as i have NO way of getting into windows i only have that bloody stupid recovery cd as i explained before i can not get into any setup it only copies the files over

Quote Originally Posted by tmns
    Hello,

to be honest i have no idea what ive done. i cant use the recovery cd it wont let me at all it just says that theres not enough room which makes me think the whole hd is in the linux format the recovery cd only copied the windows xp files over in its own program and starts the installation from the Select Country, Select Language and Select Keyboard. there is no where that i can type anything in.
    If you need to just wipe your drive and start over, the bootdisks linked above will probably work for you. Also you might look at The Ultimate Boot CD which offers formatting tools from all the major harddrive vendors.

when installing linux it said something about the Master Boot Record... could this have something to do with it? i dont know how to use fdisk or anything really i have made a real mess....
    Try reformatting your drive first, then rebooting with the Recovery CD. Perhaps it will know what to do then.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

hi tmns !!!

when installing linux it said something about the Master Boot Record... could this have something to do with it? i dont know how to use fdisk or anything really i have made a real mess....
    yeah !! FC4 modified MBR and installed GRUB or LILO to take control over windows... dual booting....

well !! if you are not able to use rescue cd then using floppy is the only way left... or any other bootable partition manager... GParted... ( its linux based and very easy to use..)

i recommend you to download software for making bootable floppy from bootdisk.com....
    boot form floppy and on prompt type fdisk...
    it will guide you for everything... well !! nothing much to do... just delete all partitons....
    boot through windows cd again and install windows....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    OMG i have NO idea how to run programs in linux! i downloaded gparted from this link...

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g...ar.gz?download

and i have NO idea how to run it! i dont know a thing about linux! i tried to download the usb one and that wont boot! although the USB version took ages to download and the link above only took a few seconds. is that the whole program or what? i dont know how to run it. my guess is that if i run that then i can get enough HD for windows XP and then recover it and proceed from windows. can you guys help me out trying to run it?

Quote Originally Posted by tmns
    OMG i have NO idea how to run programs in linux! i downloaded gparted from this link...

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/g...ar.gz?download

and i have NO idea how to run it! i dont know a thing about linux! i tried to download the usb one and that wont boot! although the USB version took ages to download and the link above only took a few seconds. is that the whole program or what? i dont know how to run it. my guess is that if i run that then i can get enough HD for windows XP and then recover it and proceed from windows. can you guys help me out trying to run it?

My advice is forget running GPartED from your existing Linux install. Just download one of the boot discs we already suggested and use the built-in formatting software to wipe your harddrive. Then try to reinstall using your recovery disc.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i have no cds, no floppy drive and the usb drive i has doesnt seem to like booting so im not sure what else i can do

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast