Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've tried installing Fedora 4, 5 and Ubuntu 5.10, 6.06 and they all hang during hard drive format. Asus P5P800-MX (latest bios) Intel Celeron D 2.93 2x512 DDR 2x80 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Every distro hangs during format

Hi,

I've tried installing Fedora 4, 5 and Ubuntu 5.10, 6.06 and they all hang during hard drive format.

Asus P5P800-MX (latest bios)
    Intel Celeron D 2.93
    2x512 DDR
    2x80 GB Sata

In my bios there is an option for the ide controllers' operation mode which can be set to "compatible" or "enhanced". Enhanced enables both ide controllers and the sata controlelr while compatible gives you 2 out of the 3. Setting it to compatible made it go a little further in Ubuntu.

I was able to install Windows XP without any problems. Tried the two sata drives seperatly, ran memtest86+, cpu temperature seems ok by checking in the bios right after a freeze.

When in the fedora setup, when it hangs, the mouse still moves but it never finishes to format the drives. I think once it got to actually installing some files but then it hang a few minutes later.

Tried acpi=off and noapic.

I though maybe it was the combination of sata hdd and ide cdrom that it didn't like so I tried doing a netinstall of ubuntu with a usb key but it didn't change anything

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Frank.

Linux Newbie
    Just possibly not a well supported sata controller? Have you tried the gparted liveCD and see what it says? Otherwise I would find out what controller you have and see if it is fully supportted.

Linux Newbie
    See this which expands on the point that deanlinkous made - http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux

Linux Newbie
    Great addition. That explains better than I could. I personally do not use sata even though both my newer boxes have them simply because I think it is a headache being so new. I will wait a year or so and by then we should be up to snuff on it.

I personally think it was just anothing thing developed to throw linux a loop knowing that microsoft will immediately have vendor support, yet linux will have to play catch up. And as long things like this then linux will never be as popular. But I may be a bit paranoid too