Find the answer to your Linux question:
Say I installed slax, playing around with it, upgrading using slapt get and swaret, install stuffs, playing games, setting everything. Is there any way to copy the whole linux installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Copying a whole linux installation

Say I installed slax, playing around with it, upgrading using slapt get and swaret, install stuffs, playing games, setting everything. Is there any way to copy the whole linux installation to another computer with the current configurations, packages and stuffs still intact?

BTW another context, If I use debian based distro such as Ubuntu, doing some package upgradings, where can I find/what directory this packages downloaded for the upgrade process?

thanks in advance

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbe
    Say I installed slax, playing around with it, upgrading using slapt get and swaret, install stuffs, playing games, setting everything. Is there any way to copy the whole linux installation to another computer with the current configurations, packages and stuffs still intact?
    If the hardware and partitions are the same, I know it would work to use something like Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, or PartImage to make an image of the working installation, then restore it to the other computer. However, if the hardware is different I'm not really sure how well that might work.
    oz

ol and faithful ghosting eh? thanks.

You can save your customized system to a new ISO,
    and make a customized cd.

How to modify SLAX ISO

Copy entire CD to harddisk. Then modify everything you need, add or remove files or modules. When done, start the following command to rebuild SLAX CD:

cd /your/slax/directory
    ./make_iso.sh /tmp/new-slax.iso

If you are working under windows, execute the following command instead:

cd c:\your\slax\directory
    make_iso.bat c:\new-slax.iso

New bootable ISO will be created with all your modifications.
    http://www.slax.org/doc_customize.php#modifyiso

okay thanks, this is the situation actually, I want to build a whole distro for my laptop, update every packages available and customize it. that slax instruction is for back to live cd behaviour of slax.

I intend to use Slax as Slackware current installation. I'm going to install it to my harddisk, update using slaptget and swaret, install stuffs and then I want the same configuration on my laptop.

how about debian/ubuntu? if I downloaded and installed softwares using apt where can I find these packages I downloaded?