Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Compaq Presario V2000, and want to install Ubuntu on it. I booted from knoppix 4.0.2 and started QTParted (v0.4.4). There are two partitions: hdc (a recovery) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm skeptical if I can partition my hd.

I have a Compaq Presario V2000, and want to install Ubuntu on it. I booted from knoppix 4.0.2 and started QTParted (v0.4.4). There are two partitions: hdc (a recovery) and hda (Windows) . When I selected hda for qtparted to look at, it said my used space was 'N/A'. I didn't know if that means that qtparted was for some reason having trouble reading the ntfs partition. Since I didn't know, I didn't do any repartitioning yet. (I was going to show a pic of what I saw, but I don't know how.)
    Any suggestions?

I had the same problen on a V5000 laptop. What I did was downloaded the GParted Live CD and used that. It worked just fine for me. Good luck!
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Just Joined!
    I booted from GParted liveCD. when I tried to resize the main partition, it wouldn't let me. I looked at its information about that part and it had this error:

couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1' : Input/output error

again, does anyone have any suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close