Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a hd which is partitioned. On one part. I run XP and on the other Win2K. I want to install a second hd and run nothing but Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hd1 : XP + Win2K. hd2 : Linux - any probs ?

I have a hd which is partitioned. On one part. I run XP and on the other Win2K. I want to install a second hd and run nothing but Linux on it. Can grub be used as the bootloader to boot into all three OS ? When I install Linux, will grub give me the option to install it (grub) on HD1 boot sector or will windows not allow for this. Are there any foreseeable probs with the setup I want ?

Cheers.
    zod

As long as you make sure you're installing Linux on the correct harddrive you shouldn't have any problems. Most Linux distributions will allow you the option to install the bootloader onto another harddrive (in this case your XP/2k drive) and add the correct boot options for you. If you have questions during the process, we're here to help.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    One of the reasons for the above post was that on another machine I have 3OS ( RH9, WIN98SE and Knoppix) installed. I found an old FAT16 hd from a 486sx33 sleeping in the attic and wanted to install the monsterous 200Mb HD and boot into DOS from it via grub. I read that booting DOS from hd2 is awkward via grub and has to be done via a map command. I just wanted to know if there were no conflicts when booting Linux from hd2 on my win2k/xp setup and that grub would allow for 2 windows OS to be booted from the same HD albeit if they were on separate partitions.

Thanks a plenty !

Zod