Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Possible problem..

Hey everyone,
    I got this laptop with windows 98 on it, it works pretty good.. only thing is that the docking station doesnt work on it. that wouldnt be that big of a deal except that the cd-rom drive, floppy disk drive, usb port are all on the docking station.. I read online about a similar problem, something to do with windows 98's plug and play not picking up the docking station... so my question is this:
    Does linux have the ability to pickup a connection like my docking station?

And

How in the world could i go about installing it, with no cd rom drive, floppy drive, or a usb port? it has a (Im guessing), an ethernet port thats not on the docking station, if its not an ethernet port that i would assume it to be a lan card..

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated...
    matt

I believe that I have a laptop with docking station and one without docking station. I believe that the laptop with docking station has USB ports on the laptop. I believe that Linux can see the docking station and recognize the hardware (such as the floppy diskette drive or devices that plug into the station) without too much problem. But I do not believe this to be the case universally, so I would see if the setup CD or diskette picks up the hardware that it can.

My laptop with docking station is a Fujitsu LifeBook B142 Series, and I believe that when I had installed Linux, the floppy diskette drive (plugged into the docking station) was recognized.

I hope that this helps.