Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone from the other side of the wall I have another question which I thought fitting for this section I could never grasp the concept of all those Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Partitioning Practice

Hello everyone from the other side of the wall I have another question which I thought fitting for this section

I could never grasp the concept of all those Linux directories when partitioning and would normally just be guessing. You know the directories like /usr, /boot (oh wait I know what that does!), /home etc what are they actually for as in what is the difference between them?

Also I'll like to add that I'm downloading Xubuntu at the moment 90% and was wondering how I'm supposed to partition my hard drive for it. I've got a 40GB hard that I'm going to be partitioning for Windows XP and Xubuntu and was thinking of giving 10GB of space to Linux and letting the rest rot with |\/|cro$ofts little pet. Is 10GB going to be enough for Xubuntu? I hear it's quite light weight and I'm not going to be using it for any heavy duty work just trying to familiarize myself with the Linux environment.

This is what I had in mind for the Hard Drive:
    1. 10GB aside for Xubuntu (how I partition that I ask you)
    2. 10GB for my Music and Miska.. missa... mish... stuff!
    3. 10GB for Windows and any other software I install I've noted that keeping a seperate drive for software is just useless you end up deleting the folders when you format the damn OS anyway!

So how is it? Oh wait no space for games! AAAAAAAAAHH!!!! THink ThINK! Okay I think I stuff some in with the miska... mma.. mizk... oh to hell with it!

hi haider4t2 !!

the directories like /usr, /boot (oh wait I know what that does!), /home etc what are they actually for as in what is the difference between them?
    check these links for detail discription of File System...

http://www.freeos.com/articles/3102/
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_intro/sect_03_01.html

# 10GB aside for Xubuntu (how I partition that I ask you)
    leave this 10GB space as unpartitioned... if you already created and formated 10GB partition (reserved for Xubuntu).. then delete that partition...
    during installation... select "use upartitioned space for installation".. installer will take care of everything... 10GB space is good...

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Take care of everything as in make all the appropriate directories and stuff and leave me the pain? If so then rock on little african word

Thanks for the answers and I've just realized that I only displayed 30GB of my 40GB hard in that last post silly me I get 10gigs for me games

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi haider4t2 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by haider4t2
    Take care of everything as in make all the appropriate directories and stuff and leave me the pain? If so then rock on little african word
    yeah !! it will take care everything... and leave No pain for you...
    if you already have windows then Linux will install its boot loader so that you can select any OS on startup...
    if you didnt install windows yet... then i recommend you to install windows first and after that go for linux

<=== { casper } ===>

Just to mention, yes, 10 gigs is plenty for Xubuntu. I suggest maybe having a fat32 partition for files (.mp3's, movies, etc.) so you can read/write to it from both linux and windows.

Just Joined!
    Really useful info thanks. Couple of questions

1. Fat 32 partition. What is that? How do I create one.
    2. If I do create one then can I download stuff off the internet via my Windows OS for installation on Xubuntu. I can't get connected to the internet via Xubuntu at the moment (wireless probems).
    3. Is it pretty guaranteed that I will be able to boot into Windows if I want to?

Thanks alot.

Hi !

did you already install Mandriva ? installing Windows after Linux install is a bit tricky. if you didnt install windows yet, then install it first. you can create FAT32 partition using Disk Management Tool of windows. best way is create D drive during windows install. leave rest of space unpartitioned/free...
    now install Xubuntu. during installation 'select unpartitioned/free space'. installer will create and format partitions itself. you will get Dual boot ( choice to boot up windows or Xubuntu at startup ).
    you can download .rpms in windows and share those through FAT32 partition.

casper

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I already have Windows XP installed and haven't yet installed Xubuntu. I don't really want to reinstall Windows to create a D drive. Will all this work if I just try to create a fat 32 partition and then install Xubuntu as you suggest?
    What exactly is a fat 32 partition. I am very new at all this?
    Thanks

Hi !

for FAT32 and all other Format types..... check this link....
    Will all this work if I just try to create a fat 32 partition and then install Xubuntu as you suggest
    yes ! go ahead... create a FAT32 partition and leave rest space unpartitioned.....

casper

Just Joined!
    Great. Thanks.