Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey! I'm new to the Linux Forums and am new to Linux in general. I'm using Slackware, and I really like the freedom it allows you. I've been using it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question windows hangs at LILO

Hey! I'm new to the Linux Forums and am new to Linux in general. I'm using Slackware, and I really like the freedom it allows you. I've been using it for about a week, and have been having almost no problems with the actual Linux. But, I've been having a problem dual-booting Windows through LILO. What happens, is when I select to boot Windows, it says "Loading Windows" and just hangs there, and nothing happens. I have two hard drives. One with Linux and one with Windows. I was going to try and set Windows as bootable with cfdisk, but when I type in 'cfdisk hdb1', it says it can't read the disk. I guess it only reads partitions from the master drive, as it did before when I was trying to install linux, and it didn't detect my second hard drive, and I had to mess with the jumper settings. The first hard drive is 40gb, and has Slackware 10.2 installed on it, and is set to master. The second hard drive (the original one) is a 100 gb hard drive, and has Windows XP Home Edition (pre-installed) on there, and is set as the Slave. I don't have the Windows XP disc with me (I'm too young to get money to buy it, 13 to be exact), since it was already installed on here when I bought it, so I can't really do anything like reinstall XP. I'm running sort of low on space on the hard drive with XP too (about 4gb free.). I've formatted and reinstalled Slackware twice to be safe, and have changed the LILO settings each time. So could someone help a newbie out please? It'd be greatly appreciated, any advice. Thanks!

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by thunder_balls
    Hey! I'm new to the Linux Forums and am new to Linux in general. I'm using Slackware, and I really like the freedom it allows you. I've been using it for about a week, and have been having almost no problems with the actual Linux. But, I've been having a problem dual-booting Windows through LILO. What happens, is when I select to boot Windows, it says "Loading Windows" and just hangs there, and nothing happens. I have two hard drives. One with Linux and one with Windows. I was going to try and set Windows as bootable with cfdisk, but when I type in 'cfdisk hdb1', it says it can't read the disk. I guess it only reads partitions from the master drive, as it did before when I was trying to install linux, and it didn't detect my second hard drive, and I had to mess with the jumper settings. The first hard drive is 40gb, and has Slackware 10.2 installed on it, and is set to master. The second hard drive (the original one) is a 100 gb hard drive, and has Windows XP Home Edition (pre-installed) on there, and is set as the Slave. I don't have the Windows XP disc with me (I'm too young to get money to buy it, 13 to be exact), since it was already installed on here when I bought it, so I can't really do anything like reinstall XP. I'm running sort of low on space on the hard drive with XP too (about 4gb free.). I've formatted and reinstalled Slackware twice to be safe, and have changed the LILO settings each time. So could someone help a newbie out please? It'd be greatly appreciated, any advice. Thanks!
    Because I having a same case like you too...when I was installing Linux and Windows for the first time. When installing Linux you should be careful and paid attention to the option and other method that Linux has provides. Well if the Windows system crashing you should re-install again from the beginning. But remember, install Windows first then Linux.ummm..Just wait another member to reply okey??

Be passion
    -JG-

Just Joined!
    You're having the same problem too? Darn, too bad. It kinda' sucks. I'd reinstall Windows again, but I don't have an install disk. I know what you're talking about, when in installation, it says it's found the partitions for Windows, and I decided to make 'em visible, and mounted it to '/mnt/windows'. Windows was installed before Linux, so that's alright. That'd be pretty bad if it werent, . Thanks though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If Windows is on the second hard drive,
    add this to /etc/lilo.conf

Code:
    map-drive = 0x80
    to = 0x81
    map-drive = 0x81
    to = 0x80
    then, as root, run the /sbin/lilo command
    to reinstall LILO. This fools windows into thinking
    it is on the first hard drive.

Just Joined!
    cool, thanks!

edit: Just checked the file, and that was already how it was . Thanks though!