Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Ok ...but you have 905964k memory so ...it isn`t a problem for you...But for me...well... I have noticed that when i open more tabs on mozilla my memory goes 100%...WTF...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ok ...but you have 905964k memory so ...it isn`t a problem for you...But for me...well...
    I have noticed that when i open more tabs on mozilla my memory goes 100%...WTF

I agree this does sound like a problem let me have a think.

change into console mode and see what it is then.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    My memory in a console mode is used in about 50%.From my opinion it`s too much...
    At his initial state(after I login), linux uses about 74% of my memory.Now i opened mozilla to see this forum page and my memory jumped to 94% usage.
    I think i`ll reinstall fedora...I had quite enough with this problem!Have any better choices?!

Yeh slim down dont use mozilla unlsess you use the mail client, chat client etc.. Use Firefox, Koncorer or Lynx. Have you recompiled your kernel?? I remeber doing a make menuconfig with redhat 9 and there were so many modules etc included i did a make mrproper (Well it told me RH was still lame to someone who know whats in there computer) Have you killed everyting that starts at boot that you dont need (If you dont know what a service does search Google or ask here) Are you sure you are using DMA most BIOS / kernels enable it by default. Do you need Gnome or KDE?? Do you need there fetures?? If not use ICEwm or enlightenment etc..

Linux User
    I really don't see what you will get by reinstalling, Red Hat or another distro, if all you are going to do is go back to the same type environemnt. If you just reinstall the same stuff that you have installed now, it's just going to act the same way that it is now.

It really doesn't sound like anything failing, just running slower than you want. Giro gave you some good stuff to do to make the system run better. Just remove/or stop from startting at bootup some of the stuff that you have now that you don't need or use all of the time. Use the GUI under "system settings/server settings/services" or in a terminal the command "chkconfig" to change what's running (and taking up resources) by defualt at boot up.

Also like Giro said think about changing what Desktop Manager that you are using. Gnome and KDE are resource pigs. Fluxbox ( http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/ ) is another popular one that wasn't mentioned.

I think people have got it wrong thay ask what there OS can do for them when really thay should ask what they want from there OS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    I think people have got it wrong thay ask what there OS can do for them when really thay should ask what they want from there OS!!
    Totaly agree on that one...

Maybe we could help tune his linux kernel...

Here is a dump from my top.
    This is one of my old servers, works as primary webserver and has KDE 3.2 on it.. but I use konquerer since Mozilla takes ages to start through VNC and SSH2 tunneling.
    And it hogs up all memory

CPU states: 0.3% user 0.5% system 0.0% nice 0.0% iowait 99.0% idle
    Mem: 257032k av, 243612k used, 13420k free, 0k shrd, 12780k buff
    34680k active, 54084k inactive
    Swap: 257472k av, 1436k used, 256036k free 64928k cached

ANd here is a dump from top on my workstation

07:08:34 up 1 day, 8:10, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    41 processes: 39 sleeping, 2 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: cpu user nice system irq softirq iowait idle
    total 0.0% 0.0% 0.8% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 199.0%
    cpu00 0.0% 0.0% 0.9% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 99.0%
    cpu01 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 100.0%
    Mem: 1031280k av, 767656k used, 263624k free, 0k shrd, 116344k buff
    331460k active, 192316k inactive
    Swap: 3301316k av, 0k used, 3301316k free 372000k cached
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    I appreciate your effort in giving me some answers and i must admit that they are very welcomed and useful for me(and hope for others too).I will reconsider my opinion about what interface i will use...
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    For your surprise, probably, i installed linux and use linux because i just want to know how to work with it - for the moment, that`s the only use of my linux(and for the Internet connection that is better).And, of course, I think this is obviuos, i want to get rid of windows
    I`ll conclude by saying that redhat didn`t use my memory in such percentage as fedora did.That should be a good query !...

Just Joined!
    Ok!
    I have reinstalled Fedora! It workef fine in the sense that my memory reached maximum 80%.I have installed nvidia driver and after reboot my memory was 94% used without any apllication opened ?! WTF is that supose to mean ?!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast