Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I've been looking for a solution to this problem for two hours, but my google-fu has failed me. I've tried to install a couple linuxs (linucies?) on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy No form of linux sees my SATA hard drive

Hey all, I've been looking for a solution to this problem for two hours, but my google-fu has failed me.

I've tried to install a couple linuxs (linucies?) on my work computer over the past couple of months, but none of them can see my hard drive!

Tried:
    Red Hat 9 (did not detect hard drive)
    Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 (Hangs when partitioner should show up)
    Knoppix 4.0 (boots, but thinks the CD-ROM drive is /dev/hda)

My problem is distinct from this insofar as the hard drive is consistantly not detected. It's also distinct from this thread because AFAIK Ubuntu 6.06 uses the 2.6 kernal, so SATA support should be there, right? Most other threads I've found deal with either external USB hard drives or partitioning problems, neither of which are the issue here. (My PartitionMagic 6 disks saw and partitioned my hard drive just fine, so that's done already.)

So, how can I get linux to detect the hard drive? My end goal is to have this dual-booting with WinXP, which works just fine already.

Hard Drive: 80Gb SATA Seagate Barracuda (ST3808110AS)
    Motherboard: ASUS P5VDC-MX

Quote Originally Posted by Valacosa
    Hey all, I've been looking for a solution to this problem for two hours, but my google-fu has failed me.

I've tried to install a couple linuxs (linucies?) on my work computer over the past couple of months, but none of them can see my hard drive!

Tried:
    Red Hat 9 (did not detect hard drive)
    Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 (Hangs when partitioner should show up)
    Knoppix 4.0 (boots, but thinks the CD-ROM drive is /dev/hda)

My problem is distinct from this insofar as the hard drive is consistantly not detected. It's also distinct from this thread because AFAIK Ubuntu 6.06 uses the 2.6 kernal, so SATA support should be there, right? Most other threads I've found deal with either external USB hard drives or partitioning problems, neither of which are the issue here. (My PartitionMagic 6 disks saw and partitioned my hard drive just fine, so that's done already.)

So, how can I get linux to detect the hard drive? My end goal is to have this dual-booting with WinXP, which works just fine already.

Hard Drive: 80Gb SATA Seagate Barracuda (ST3808110AS)
    Motherboard: ASUS P5VDC-MX

Hi Valacosa,
    Have you tried using the linux -noprobe command at the install boot screen?
    Use google, or these fine forums to find out more about it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Still no luck

I've tried acpi=off, noapic, nolapic, and noprobe in various combinations, with the exact same result.

I've now downloaded Ubuntu 6.06.1 and that install fails in a completely different way. After the initial boot screen, the X server chokes (which is strange, because 6.06 and Knoppix 4.0 both work just fine up to that point.) But when the install fails in this way I'm dumped at a command prompt. And at least when I do "sudo fdisk -l", I see my hard drive partitions.

Progress?

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

This is an encouragement post.

I also use an ASUS board and I have 2 80-GB SATA drives attached (drive details as noted below).

I have Xandros and SuSE running on the SATA drives, but I often do trial installs onto an ATA in a frame / carrier system. However, I think almost all Linux distributions have been able to detect the SATAs.

One common problem that I recall is on-board "RAID", which apparently turns out to be a setting mostly for Windows. I have a Dell server on which I had to turn that off in order to successfully install RHEL.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was board-related, not drive-related.

Keep us posted ... cheers, drl

Code:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: ATA      Model: ST380013AS       Rev: 3.18
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: ATA      Model: ST380817AS       Rev: 3.42
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!

Red face Finally!

Thanks for the encouragement, drl. I've installed Redhat and Fedora Core 4 before, and Ubuntu is happily running on my laptop. This is the most trouble I have ever had installing linux.

That said, I found a fix, though it is hardware specific.

I went to the ASUS website and found the latest BIOS for my motherboard (P5VDC-MX). After I flashed the BIOS, Ubuntu 6.06 install still hung, Knoppix still didn't detect the hard drive, but Ubuntu 6.06.1 detected the hard drive and didn't dump me to a text prompt this time. Maybe the 2.6.15_26 kernel makes all the difference.

Serendipitous, in a way: the BIOS I used was only released on August 8 2006, and AFAIK Ubuntu 6.06.1 was only released on August 10. If I had tried this a week ago, nothing would have worked!

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.
    Serendipitous, in a way: the BIOS I used was only released on August 8 2006, and AFAIK Ubuntu 6.06.1 was only released on August 10. If I had tried this a week ago, nothing would have worked!
    Glad to hear it has come closer to solution.

It's good to know that sometimes things do work out well ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Just Joined!
    I've tried acpi=off, noapic, nolapic, and noprobe in various combinations, with the exact same result.

I've now downloaded Ubuntu 6.06.1 and that install fails in a completely different way. After the initial boot screen, the X server chokes (which is strange, because 6.06 and Knoppix 4.0 both work just fine up to that point.) But when the install fails in this way I'm dumped at a command prompt. And at least when I do "sudo fdisk -l", I see my hard drive partitions.

Progress?
    Hi,

Try the following combination:
    "noacpi noapm noapic pci=noacpi"

Rajneesh

Just Joined!
    same thing happened to me. the bios update solved it.

Just Joined!
    My BIOS has an Enhanced SATA mode (default) and a Compatible SATA mode. I had to set it to Compatible in order to see any drives in /dev.