Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hi triplemaya !! Xp installation Cd dont allow boot up like windows 98.... Xp allows only repair option... and if XP cd is not working.. then you can use Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

hi triplemaya !!

Xp installation Cd dont allow boot up like windows 98.... Xp allows only repair option... and if XP cd is not working.. then you can use Windows 98 CD or Windows 98 bootable floppy...
    you can download bootable floppy from www.bootdisk.com
    boot up through floppy and type
    c:\> fdisk /mbr
    in most cases it works...
    ( actually in earlier posts, you didnt mention repair... i thought you just wanna delete windows partition and fresh install.....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Still

I have used parted, done away with the first partition. No joy. Formatted the parition, no joy, done away the linux partition, no joy. I have done fdisk \mbr, on the advice of a friend. Interesting. There is a warning dialog, saying you are about to overwrite the master boot record. Type yes.
    Install windows xp disk. boots from disk. says it is going to examilng hardware. up comes the same dialog, saying the mbr is about to be overwritten. Type yes. xp install cd still dies.

I don't have a computer.

Please help

hi triplemaya !!

its strange ........
    when you power on machine... what you get ?? message.. errors.. what ???

<=== { casper } ===>

Just Joined!

Update

When I power on the machine, windows boots. And fails. And the machine restarts, and windows says ' didn't work last time ...' and presents various options, including last known configuration. I tried all the options.

Well, since then I have removed the windows partitoin, and, in desperatoin, removed the linux partition. The disk originally had three partitions, one for windows to be at the beginning of the disk, one for linux to be near the beginning of the disk, and the rest. The rest is where all my datat is. So now the disk has the last partition, and I have formated the rest.

I still have the problem that xp installatoin disk will not work . It boots, loads, and gtives the message ' setup will now inspect your computer's hardware', and it goes blank. I have tried everything I can think of, and everything that has been suggested.

hi triplemaya !!

boot up thru GParted, in partition manager window, check the last column "FLAGS"...
    first partition /dev/hda1 shoud be "boot" and all other partitions should not have any flag... except one ... extended... it should be "lba".

by default, windows create only one primary partition /dev/hda1 and set its flag as boot. next partition /dev/hda2 as extended partition, flag = "lba".... no flag for rest of partitions.

you can set or remove flags by right click on partition and "manage flags"

set the flags, apply and reboot using Xp CD

<=== { casper } ===>

Just Joined!

Doesn't work!?

Thanks for that Casper, but it still doesn't work.

I set the flag on /dev/hda1 to boot, and left the flag on /dev/hda2 as lba. No change.

I have discovered that windows 2000 will install, but even after this has installed, win xp install still stalls at the same old place. I don't know if it would make a difference if I completed the w2000 install, I have lost the serial nubmer so I have to quit out when that is asked for.

Strangely, w2000 wouldn't install until I set the flag back to no flag on /dev/hda1.

Anyone got any other ideas?

hi triplemaya !!

this is a very strange problem.....
    well !! UBCD.... this is last and most effective tool in my kit... worked everytime.......
    delete partitions, create new and format !!!

<=== { casper } ===>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2