Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by devils_casper what windows version ??? dos based tools, windows installation cds, bootable floppies wont work.... you cant use these to create new partitions in harddisk having linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    what windows version ??? dos based tools, windows installation cds, bootable floppies wont work.... you cant use these to create new partitions in harddisk having linux already installed.
    I had thought that any partition table that the BIOS in any machine can read can be edited by DOS tools such as CFDISK, GUI tools such as XP's disk manager or Linux tools suck as fdisk?

hi richiefrich hi devils_casper

devils_casper has answered to the question with his first answer.i think there is no more help needed until ajit.kulkarni would ask for it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    hi richiefrich hi devils_casper

devils_casper has answered to the question with his first answer.i think there is no more help needed until ajit.kulkarni would ask for it.
    I would say such, if I didn't see that piece of text I quoted above. Unless he was referring to something else, that part is mis-leading and wrong.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hi richiefrich !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ajit.kulkarni
    but the problem is I am not able to remove the linux partitions
    what will be the difference between Remove and Wipe if one is going to remove all the partitions. doesn't it means that you are going to wipe everything... user has three partitions and he wanna remove all three....
    i already wrote in first post..
    i assume that you wanna remove linux completly.. no data... nothing...
    Quote Originally Posted by richiefrich
    and what i took you as is that he can't install windows over linux then reinstall linux in another partition which he can
    how you assume this ?????

hi user00265 !!!

partition table can be edited or removed by dos utilities if linux and windows both are installed in the machine.... if there is only LINUX, no windows OR linux installed in Logical Partition then these utilites will never work ........

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    hi user00265 !!!

partition table can be edited or removed by dos utilities if linux and windows both are installed in the machine.... if there is only LINUX, no windows OR linux installed in Logical Partition then these utilites will never work ........
    They can be removed either way, the partition tables are generic to both Windows and Linux tools. I think you mean something else than what is comming across, do explain what you mean by 'logical partition,' please?

hi user00265 !!!

you dont know whats "Logical Partition"....... great ....

well !! windows allow only two primary partitions..... and rest as extended.....
    by default, windows create only one primary partition, next is Extended... this Extended Partition contains all the Logical partitions... e.g. windows C:\ drive.. its primary....... all other drives D,E, F..... are Logical partitions in ONE Big Extended partition....
    windows can NOT be installed in Logical partition.. BUT you can install LInux there.....
    by default, in dual boot, when you install linux after windows, it get installed in LOGICAL Partition ( unpartitioned space or existing partition )....... windows wont recognize this...... linux is in windows Logical Partiton but it wont recognize...
    Now how dos based utilites work....eg fdisk or whatever you wrote....
    delete Logical first, then extended, last primary...
    windows is not recognizing Linux ( its own Logical partition ) , delete all logical.. it shows Ok..deleted
    delete Extended Partition... Error Message == "you cant, there is Logical partition in extended "... Ok.. lets delete it... hey ! there is no logical partition here.....
    it will not work...... never...

<=== { casper } ===>

hi richiefrich !!

coz of existing Linux partitions, windows installation CD's wont work... you can't use bootable floppies either... fdisk or any dos based partition tool wont work ....

<=== { casper } ===>

thats why ^^ u told him my reinstall windows then install linux what wrong and it's not..

hi richiefrich !!!

i already explained that why fdisk or Dos utilities wont work........

<=== { casper } ===>

Just Joined!
    hi user00265 !!!

you dont know whats "Logical Partition"....... great ....
    I do, I am just making sure our terms are the same. You aparently don't speak English as your primary or native language.

well !! windows allow only two primary partitions..... and rest as extended.....
    Correction, up to 4 Primary partitions. If you need more, you can have 3 primary, 1 extended and Logical partitions in the Extended area.

by default, windows create only one primary partition, next is Extended... this Extended Partition contains all the Logical partitions... e.g. windows C:\ drive.. its primary....... all other drives D,E, F..... are Logical partitions in ONE Big Extended partition....
    Please see above. I've never seen my Windows use Extended partitions if I use two parts of the hard drive myself.

windows can NOT be installed in Logical partition.. BUT you can install LInux there.....
    I'm not sure if Windows installs or not in a Logical partition, so I'll leave this alone until I study this further.

by default, in dual boot, when you install linux after windows, it get installed in LOGICAL Partition ( unpartitioned space or existing partition )....... windows wont recognize this...... linux is in windows Logical Partiton but it wont recognize...
    This is true, if you created the partitions yourself, first Primary and second is Extended, then the Logicals. Windows does recognize this. It doesn't recognize the type of data in the Logical partitions, so it just marks them as "Unknown" and they don't display in My Computer. They do display, however, in utilities such as XP/2K's Disk Manager in the admin tools.

Now how dos based utilites work....eg fdisk or whatever you wrote....
    delete Logical first, then extended, last primary...
    cfdisk in DOS. It does it on auto if you delete a Extended partition.

windows is not recognizing Linux ( its own Logical partition ) , delete all logical.. it shows Ok..deleted
    delete Extended Partition... Error Message == "you cant, there is Logical partition in extended "... Ok.. lets delete it... hey ! there is no logical partition here.....
    it will not work...... never...
    This I don't quite understand, I just tried dismanteling a hard drive to try your comment, but it didn't complain after I got rid of all the Logical partitions when I tried to remove the Extended partition.

Quote Originally Posted by user00265
    Please see above. I've never seen my Windows use Extended partitions if I use two parts of the hard drive myself
    if you have only two parts.... partitions... then second is in Extended..... unless you have both PRIMARY.....

Quote Originally Posted by user00265
    cfdisk in DOS. It does it on auto if you delete a Extended partition.

This I don't quite understand, I just tried dismanteling a hard drive to try your comment, but it didn't complain after I got rid of all the Logical partitions when I tried to remove the Extended partition.
    was Linux installed in Logical Partition ????

<=== { casper } ===>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast