Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
hi ajit.kulkarni Download GParted live CD like devils_casper said.You will be able to delete all partitions.I have used GParted live CD many times and it works great. when you will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

hi ajit.kulkarni
    Download GParted live CD like devils_casper said.You will be able to delete all partitions.I have used GParted live CD many times and it works great.
    when you will delete all partitions create a FAT or NTFS parition for windows. It would be good if you would leave unpartitioned space for linux.(if you have 40GB HDD make 20GB partition for windows and other 20gb leave emty).
    Then you can start with fresh install of windows.After that install linux on unpartitioned space.

i hope that helps

Just Joined!
    Check the drive for bad sectors/blocks first, for what would you want to format the drive and have it fail later?

hi user00265
    i think that windows checks for bad blocks when formatting.(if you dont select quick format)

Quote Originally Posted by user00265
    The first and last links you posted didn't mention what you were going on about at all. The second two mention issues with FAT16/FAT32, I will investigate further.
    investigate as much as you can........ i added links later.... coz..... i had to search the net for similar problems...... i wrote earlier... i dont have spare machine to post the gif...
    and i never argue if i dont beleive in what i am saying...
    ajit.kulkarni already wrote that what happened when he used fdisk..... do you need any other proof..... ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by user00265
    Check the drive for bad sectors/blocks first, for what would you want to format the drive and have it fail later?
    this is not a problem of BAD DRIVE... suface scan has nothing to do with it.....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hey, I didn't say the problem is with current operating systems, I am researching if the problem still exists.

Second, a hanging install mostly means hard drive communication issues which is one of two things, bad IDE cable/header or a bad hard drive. He has formatted the drive to install the OSes in it, but they have hanged. That means bad news.

Format doesn't scan for bad sectors on all operating systems and on all utilities. Old windows systems prior to Windows 2000 use scandisk. Windows 2000 and up (NT-based) use a different flavor of scandisk that must be executed from either within the OS and then reboot, or from the recovery prompt off of the CD.

hi user00265
    bad IDE cable/header
    well when i had bad IDE cable HDD didnt work.But the thread starters HDD works.

2.)sory because i wasnt clear enaugh.I wanted to say windows XP checks for bad blocks when formattingf you dont select quick format)

Just Joined!
    #1: True about the IDE cable, but bad IDE cables don't mean just plain not working... sometimes they're just worn, broken inside or a random gamma of things which just makes the hard drives appear as mis-behaving and could damage the hard drive in the long run.

#2: Hm. Yes, correct.

he said REMOVE so a reinstall will work fine
    It frequently occurs that the windows installer will choke
    on a hard drive that has "non-dos" partitions on it. It is a bug
    in the installer. It will not use, delete, or resize the existing
    partitions. Catch-22. It is true that you have to use some
    other method to either clear the partition table or create
    a microsoft partition before the installer will proceed.

There is also a way to do this from dos.

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=846&

hi rcgreen !!

i am trying to explain this.... but user00265 decided not to agree with me at any cost.... he is INVESTIGATING......

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

hi devils_casper hi rcgreen
    i agree with you but i dont agree with user00265

hi user00265
    please tell me one good reason why would yout theory work.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast