Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by devils_casper hi rcgreen !! i am trying to explain this.... but user00265 decided not to agree with me at any cost.... he is INVESTIGATING...... <=== { casper ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    hi rcgreen !!

i am trying to explain this.... but user00265 decided not to agree with me at any cost.... he is INVESTIGATING......

<=== { casper } ===>

I said reinstall in the 1st place thats how this whole thing got started when you devils_casper said it won't work!!!

So it seems you are contradicting yourself on the reinstall and I dont see why when you said it wont work. SO tell me again what do you believ in? That it WILL work or that it WON'T.. I dont care about why and what nots I want to know what you believe to be true no url posting.. Yours opinions please! and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by richiefrich
    why not just install windows XP then reinstall linux.. or install another HDD then install XP but then you will need to redo grub or lilo as windows overwrites them with there crappy boot loader.

AS YOU SEE ^^ i cant quote myself!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    hi devils_casper hi rcgreen
    i agree with you but i dont agree with user00265

hi user00265
    please tell me one good reason why would yout theory work.
    I didn't agree with devils_casper comment on the way hard drives worked, plainly because they work as he said it doesn't. Second, he said that Linux utilities can't edit all types of Windows/DOS partitions.

Also, I'm not saying my theory will work, it's just a possibility. If you read, he said not only windows installer chokes, but also a Linux installer.

hi richiefrich
    yes you can quote anybody(and enything)...when will you invent warm water?

hi user00265
    the best place for you would be a chat room for people which think about possibilityes ."Possibility" like you say is not an answer ...is just thinking.We told you many times that possibility doesnt work..why are you (like devils_casper said) INVESTIGATING?

hi user00265 and richiefrich !!!

user's XP installation CD was not working..... he wanted to delete linux partitions.....
    fdisk or DOS based utilities will not work... so... you have to use linux based partition manager... like GParted.......
    read my first post again........

Quote Originally Posted by richiefrich
    I said reinstall in the 1st place thats how this whole thing got started when you devils_casper said it won't work!!!
    i think ... we are starting again from first POST... IF fdisk, XP installation CD or DOS based utilities are not working then "HOW CAN YOU GO FOR FRESH INSTALL"

Quote Originally Posted by user00265
    Second, he said that Linux utilities can't edit all types of Windows/DOS partitions.
    i never wrote that........ i wrote again and again that DOS based utilities wont work.....
    please QUOTE me wherever i wrote "LINUX UTILITIES" wont work......
    i suggested GParted in very first post......

well ! i already made my points clear... dont wanna argue with you people anymore.... its useless......
    i am here to suggest and help user... not to argue with you all...... first investigate then start a new thread....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Good Day EVERYONE!!
    thank you all for the tremendous amount of help and information I am getting for all you guys, you are all real masters in your field (if fact you have made my post a "HOT THREAD " )
    the bad news is even gparted didnt help:drown:
    now I am going to try the solution provided by devils_casper below

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    hi ajit.kulkarni !!

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1

this command wipe away the partition table of hard disk
    After reboot, all installation systems will think that you have a brand new hard disk.

<=== { casper } ===>
    or else I will try
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_user
    The following debug script can be used to clean the master partition table. After running this script, the FDISK program should be used to create partition/partitions.

1. Boot from a MS-DOS version 7.0 (Win98 or Win95) formatted floppy and run the DEBUG program.
    Note - If you want large disk support (Fat32) you will need a later version of 95 or any version of 98.
    2. Start debug and Enter the following commands.
    Note you are entering a small assembler program.

The machine's responses are:

-F 200 L1000 0
    -A CS:100
    xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301<ENTER>
    xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200<ENTER>
    xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1<ENTER>
    xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80<ENTER> <-- "80" for hd 0, "81" for hd 1
    xxxx:010C INT 13<ENTER>
    xxxx:010E INT 20<ENTER>
    xxxx:0110 <ENTER> <---BLANK LINE - IMPORTANT!
    -G
    Program terminated normally

NOTE - Run at your own risk as this is non-recoverable.

Flashing is risky in any form!
    Lets hope this helps

hi ajit.kulkarni !!

Quote Originally Posted by ajit.kulkarni
    the bad news is even gparted didnt help
    whats the error message ???
    if nothing works then try UBCD.... it worked for me everytime....

<=== { casper } ===>

Just Joined!

Exclamation Can't install Windows without removing partitions

I can attest that I cannot install a Windows XP disk without removing partitions, which I have NO IDEA how to do. I want to completely remove Linux (Red Hat) from my hard drive. Trying now only opens up the Windows text files or trying to boot only the CD drive leaves me with a blank screen with NOTHING happening. I've found a site that tells how to do it with an fdisk which again I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO.

Any help would be appreciated.

Btw, your little exchange was very entertaining.

Thanks!

Just Joined!

Unhappy

[QUOTE=Raquel]I can attest that I cannot install a Windows XP disk without removing partitions, which I have NO IDEA how to do. I want to completely remove Linux (Red Hat) from my hard drive. Trying now only opens up the Windows text files or trying to boot only the CD drive leaves me with a blank screen with NOTHING happening. I've found a site that tells how to do it with an fdisk which again I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO.

I have tried: $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1 which I noticed is suggested early in this thread but is slightly different but both get me command not found. Also, I do not have a Ms-DOS (Windows 95 or 9 disk to work with.

I did finally get that I could just enter FDISK in the command line. The affore mentioned site tells me to enter p to view the partitions and m to get help, again both of those commands come back with command not found.

I want to throw my laptop away and/or cry at this point. I just want to be done with Linux.

Thanks again for any assistance.

-Raquel

HI !!!

did you delete Linux Partitions ????
    if not then for 'dd' command you must be root ....
    as i suggested in last post, UBCD is last and best option to wipe everything from HardDisk.......

.... casper ....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast