Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
hello everyone I had installed linux on one of my hard disk with the usual /(root) /boot and (swap) partition .Now I want to remove it and make it dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question cannot remove linux partitions

hello everyone
    I had installed linux on one of my hard disk with the usual /(root) /boot and (swap) partition .Now I want to remove it and make it dual boot with windows and linux .but the problem is I am not able to remove the linux partitions .I attached it to another xp machine and tried to delete partition but they cannot be removed please help

hi ajit.kulkarni !!

I assume that you wanna remove linux completely.. no data... nothing...
    if you able to boot up linux then log in as root and on terminal type this command ...

Code:
     dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=521 count=1
    this command wipe away the partition table of hard disk
    After reboot, all installation systems will think that you have a brand new hard disk.

if this does not work then check the website of your hard disk manufacturer and download Hard Disk utilities... or try GParted... its bootable, Linux based Partition Manager ( 30 MB )
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-07-2008 at 05:25 AM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

why not just install windows XP then reinstall linux.. or install another HDD then install XP but then you will need to redo grub or lilo as windows overwrites them with there crappy boot loader.

hi ajit.kulkarni
    why dont you just resize linux parition and install windows on free space?

hi richiefrich !!

Quote Originally Posted by richiefrich
    why not just install windows XP then reinstall linux.. or install another HDD then install XP but then you will need to redo grub or lilo as windows overwrites them with there crappy boot loader.
    Because of existing Linux partitions, windows installation CD's wont work... you can't use bootable floppies either... fdisk or any dos based partition tool wont work ....
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-07-2008 at 05:26 AM.

I beg to differ all depends on the windows ver. It to will format/repartitioning the disk.

I beg to differ all depends on the windows ver. It to will format/repartitioning the disk.
    It doesn't work sometimes.
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-07-2008 at 05:27 AM.

believe what u will, but I know windows will install over linux.. now if he wants to wipe the drive then dd is needed. if he justs wants to install windows then it will install.. I have done it on other boxes that ppl didnt like linux.. So i know! it works! Have a great day..
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-07-2008 at 05:27 AM.

hi richiefrich !!!

beliefs can't change facts.......

one can install windows after installing linux..... its true...
    you wrote "I beg to differ all depends on the windows ver. It to will format/repartitioning the disk"
    what windows version ??? dos based tools, windows installation cds, bootable floppies wont work.... you cant use these to create new partitions in harddisk having linux already installed.
    GParted or other linux based partitioner can do the partitioning stuff.
    for wiping out everything.. dd will work...

here user wanna wipe out everything....... so i recommended him "dd".... if user asked for installation then there are a lot ways for that too....

<=== { casper } ===>

he said and i quote
    Now I want to remove it and make it dual boot with windows and linux .
    He did not say wipe he said remove and remove means to me that he wants to reinstall something.. and what i took you as is that he can't install windows over linux then reinstall linux in another partition which he can! He never said WIPE!! he said REMOVE so a reinstall will work fine.. he also didnt say he wanted to RESIZE so as my 1st post is correct and stands true. rinstall windows then install linux in some left over space.. dont use all the dick on a windows install then you will need to resize.. why go do more steps. now do you understand

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast