Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Ubuntu 6.06.1 on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, and after the installation from the live cd finished, I rebooted and everything seemed to work fine (gnome started, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu Failure to Start X

I just installed Ubuntu 6.06.1 on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, and after the installation from the live cd finished, I rebooted and everything seemed to work fine (gnome started, I installed the available updates, opened firefox, no problems). The next time I tried to start Ubuntu, however, I received an error "Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that is it not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?" I logged in from the CLI and checked out the contents of the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log but I have no idea what I should look for and whether I need to make changes in the config file /etc/X11/xorg.conf I'm using an nVidia GeForce 4 440 Go video card, by the way. I would really appreciate any advice.

Linux Engineer
    you could try to completely reconfig your file with xorgcfg, this should get you a useable desktop, and you can set up your specific card later on with nvidia drivers

if you would please paste the log file and the config file.. thank you so much. there could be many possible reasons on why X doesnt load

Just Joined!
    This was a problem with the ubuntu repository, the xorg developers screwed up, and ubuntu didn't catch it. It's fixed now. Check the ubuntu forum for the (closed) thread which described solutions before the package was fixed.

Linux Guru
    No need to look for the fix, simply update again to correct the problem. The 'patch for the patch' is out now

Make sure you are online and log in at command line -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    This will replace your X server and restart GDM so you can login.

I ran the apt-get update and upgrade commands and then tried to restart gdm, but it failed. I then tried rebooting and it worked fine! Hooray! Thanks for helping out this linux newb bigtomrodney!

Linux Guru
    Anytime dude, just paying it forward

Just Joined!

Failed to Start X server.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    No need to look for the fix, simply update again to correct the problem. The 'patch for the patch' is out now

Make sure you are online and log in at command line -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    This will replace your X server and restart GDM so you can login.

When I try this, I reboot and the error is the same. Am I doing something wrong?