Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, I finally found a replacement HDD for my old laptop. Now I have a use for it. I will be bringing it to work and running CBTs on XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

WinXP, Debian, and Sharing a Partition

So, I finally found a replacement HDD for my old laptop. Now I have a use for it. I will be bringing it to work and running CBTs on XP and will be adding Debian on there as well. I do paintball photography and download music.

I am thinking of buying a 120GB so here is what I want to do:

Partion 30GB to WinXP Pro
    Partition 20GB to Debian
    Partition the leftover ~70GB to be used by either WinXP/Debian

What is the best way of doing this? I'm sure I will have to do the last partition in some sort of FAT filesystem, correct? I want to be able to add music and pictures to this partition and be able to read/modify them in either OS.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
    MCP | Network+

hi COKE CAN !!!

Partion 30GB to WinXP Pro
    Partition 20GB to Debian
    Partition the leftover ~70GB to be used by either WinXP/Debian
    first install XP in 30 GB, create a 70 GB FAT32 partition and leave 20GB as unpartitioned.
    install Debian in unpartitioned/free space, dont change anything in Boot Loader section during installation.
    on Start up, Boot Loader wlll always give you an option to boot up either XP or Debian.....
    FAT32 partition will allow you to share data !

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the quick reply Casper!
    MCP | Network+

You can also use ext3 for your shared partition, if you get fs-driver for Windows. It's better than using fat.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

hi Zelmo !!

well !! FAT32 never gave me any kind of problem till now... please let me know why ext3 is better than FAT32......

<=== { casper } ===>

Sorry it took me so long to revisit this--I hadn't noticed that last question until just now.

Well, the problem I ran into with vfat was the file size limit of 4GB. When MythTV started keeping recordings of what you're watching on live TV (in case you're in the middle of a show when you decide you want a recording of it), it ate up a lot of drive space if I watched TV on my computer for more than an hour or so. When it hit the 4GB limit it had some sort of problems (I forget what they were). So I switched that drive to ext3, which supports file sizes of 16GB-2TB, depending on your block size. I haven't had any problems with MythTV since.

There's also a pretty telling comparison of filesystem features on Wikipedia that shows just how feature-deplete fat32 is. Add to that the ease of mounting and working with ext3 in Linux and Windows' ability to use it via the fs-driver, and ext3 becomes a very attractive option for shared drives (especially drives that you also share with Windows clients via Samba!).
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Hi Zelmo !!

you are right... ext3 is much better that FAT32... but i prefer FAT32 coz i wont have/ create >4GB file ever.... lol.. and
    FAT32 is best for sharing data between windows and linux without any extra effort... allmost all distro recognize and automount FAT32......

.... casper ....