Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install linux, and I've got the three cd's and the boot floppy. I restart, and boot from the floppy and press enter to begin the installationg, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake - Install fails at an early stage.

I'm trying to install linux, and I've got the three cd's and the boot floppy. I restart, and boot from the floppy and press enter to begin the installationg, but during the text boot-up screen, where it appears to be loading drivers and inspecting my system. At the points where it says:

Partition Check:
    hda (insert blinking cursor thing here)

it just freezes up. I waited more than ten minutes and still nothing. Has anyone experienced this before? Can anyone determine the cause of my problems?

Linux Guru
    It would appear that either your HDD isn't in the best shape, or you have a broken IDE chipset. I don't really know what to do, though, since it appears to be a hardware fault.

Just Joined!
    Arrgh. That's what I was thinking. It's just a chessy old 10 gig seagate drive that I got for frree from someone who was going to toss their computer. I thought it was fine, though, because I seperated all the bad sectors, and it seems to be operating just fine from windows and dos.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Do you have a slave IDE on the same bus?

Just Joined!
    I've got one master, which has got windows 2k on it, and the disk I want to install to is a 10 gig set as a slave. I would assume that the 6 gig is hard drive a, and that's where the operation fails.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, that's right. Try setting the 10 GB (I guess that's where you're going to install Linux, right?) as the only drive on that bus and see if it works. Try different master/slave configurations. Sometimes defective hard drives react to that.

Just Joined!
    ok then, tanks for the help.

Just Joined!
    nope. I'd go to computer fest to buy another drive, but it ended a few days ago. just my luck.