Find the answer to your Linux question:
Following information is displayed while booting and after that the system hangs. .... Freeing unused kernal memory: 244k freed Adding Swap: 128512K swap-space (priority 1) Adding Swap: 131504K swap-space (priority ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian Linux - Booting problem

Following information is displayed while booting and after that the system hangs.
    Freeing unused kernal memory: 244k freed
    Adding Swap: 128512K swap-space (priority 1)
    Adding Swap: 131504K swap-space (priority 1)

The system has crashed couple of times because of power supply unit problems.

Please let me know how i can fix this problem.

Linux Engineer
    The system just hangs?

Can u boot in at all? Which kernel flavor did you install?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!

Booting

I am not sure about the kernel version. I cannot run any commands either since i cannot login. During the booting process the system does display booting information but I couldn't get kernel version.

FYI: On boot it starts the kernel and detects all peripherals etc and once it reaches the point of last statement ie 'Adding swap..' it just sits idle. It doesnt access the hard disk for sure after this point.

Do you think it is a better to reinstall debian linux?

Linux Engineer
    Well, which CD number (there are about 7 in total) did you install Debian from? The first four by default load different flavors. We can find out that way which kernel you have.

Besides the kernel issues, it's a bit odd that you are having this problem in any kernel flavor. Have you had any hardware related problems with this computer in the past?

I'd suggest the reinstall but we should at least try to isolate the problem so that we can better solve this issue.
    The best things in life are free.