Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. First post on this forum and from the looks of what I've seen, I'll be back again and again. Long story short, I'm installing Redhat 9 on an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Partitioning, boot sector

Hi everyone.

First post on this forum and from the looks of what I've seen, I'll be back again and again.

Long story short, I'm installing Redhat 9 on an old PIII in order to end up with my own web server. I have a pretty good knowledge of Unix and shells including BASH having taken two semesters of Unix administaration several years ago in completing my college degree in mathematics with emphasis on computer science.

Learned C, C++, Java, Pascal, LISP and some others well enough to write
    simple programs in DOS and Unix and Windows environments.

Now, I want to put my knowledge to work on the WEB and am undergoing learning curves for xml. perl, schema, php not being satisfied with html and css alone. I insist on writing everything myself, currently using Textpad 4.7.

I'm a bit eccentric about my machines. Three of my four desktops (AMD 500 - P4) have frontloading pcmcia ports. My XP pro machine has a dual pcmcia
    on the front. Took a little registry hacking to make that work.

Anyway, my current "problem" is simple to solve, I hope.

I started to install Linux on a PIII (without the pcmcia) It has 40gb and 10gb ide drives. I aborted the installation and repartitioned the disk using an effective little program called delpart.

I wanted to create a small DOS partition (420MB) and did so, formatting it with a floppy I use to install the minimal DOS utilities and programs I still use.

The problem is, that the computer will not boot from the active DOS partition.
    I can only boot it from a floppy or from the CD ROM with the Linux 9 install disk loaded. Otherwise, the computer boots up with the GRUB prompt and very little functionality whether the DOS partition is defined or not.

My goal is to have the DOS partition active before the Linux install, thus creating a dual boot option. I don't want DOS running over Linux as Windows can be configured to do.

How to I get rid of the Linux boot sector so I can start over?

Thanks in advance for input.

gsja

If your DOS partition is already set up, just boot
    from the linux cd and install. It will prompt you to
    set up the bootloader for dual boot with DOS.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Partitioning

Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen
    If your DOS partition is already set up, just boot
    from the linux cd and install. It will prompt you to
    set up the bootloader for dual boot with DOS.
    I had assumed I needed a completely blank HD. Was a little perplexed why I
    couldn't boot up on DOS even though I had deleted all Linux partitions before
    making the DOS partition. Now I have a dual boot. And I still like to fool
    around with Assembler, Borland's CPP 3.1 and Turbo Pascal 6 for DOS along with other stuff.

Thanks for the help!

gsja

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close