Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to install SuSE Linux with a boot disk from the hard drive? If not, well I doubt it but would the FTP installation work with my DSL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing SuSE from HD

Is it possible to install SuSE Linux with a boot disk from the hard drive?
    If not, well I doubt it but would the FTP installation work with my DSL modem (uses PPPoE...not sure if that'd work...)?

Linux Guru
    What exactly is it that you want to do? Download it in Windows and install it without burning it?

Just Joined!
    pretty much, not having a burner makes burning it pretty hard
    It's probably not too poss.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I must admit that I don't know how to do it in suse, but I know that's it possible in RedHat. I haven't used that feature, but I'd guess that it has to be a FAT partition (not NTFS). They would also most probably have to be "extracted", so to speak, ie. you shouldn't have the CD images, but the file tree that they contain.
    If you must have SuSE, you need to get help from someone who uses it. If you can choose RH instead, I can help you.

And no, I wouldn't think it's possible to do PPPoE in the installer (there are always ways to do it, of course, but that's just too impossible to direct someone to in a distro that I haven't even tried).

Just Joined!
    RH was my first choice

If you can help me, I'd appreciate it, I really would like to start using Linux again...

(btw, just to complicate things, I'd like to do a dual-boot until i'm completely used to Linux)

And if PPPoE works better than what I want to do, we can use that.

Linux Guru
    No, PPPoE doesn't work better, it just doesn't use up the disk space.
    Well, to get started, then. Don't download the ISOs. In the redhat download directory on redhat's ftp (and probably most mirrors), at one point you can choose between a directory called iso, and one called os. Go into os, and you'll find all the files as they'd look if they were on one CD. Download all of them instead of the ISOs (you can skip the SRPMS directory; that's the source code).

Oh yes, I almost forgot, is your windows partition FAT or NTFS?

Just Joined!
    FAT...named appropriately to show how bloated Windows can be.

Linux Guru
    Actually, FAT takes less space for itself than ext2 does, but then it doesn't even have half the capabilities of ext2. (For more info on that, see this post, especially the second page)
    Anyway, having FAT probably guarantees that it'll work. Download the "os" directory like I said, write the boot disk, and it should give you the necessary instructions to complete the procedure. (Otherwise just ask back).

Just Joined!
    1) could I just make it simple and extract the ISO?
    2) PPPoE won't be a problem once I'm running, will it?

Linux Guru
    Yeah, you could just extract the ISO, they contain the same. I'm not sure how to "merge" the three needed ISOs, though, or if it's even necessary. Probably, you can just put them in different directories.

PPPoE shouldn't be a problem in itself. Your modem might very well be a problem if it's a USB modem, though.