Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I wanted to set up KnoppMyth (R5D1) to dual boot with Windows XP. I have XP installed on my 60Gb primary master and followed the manual install procedures on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lilo question

Hi,

I wanted to set up KnoppMyth (R5D1) to dual boot with Windows XP. I have XP installed on my 60Gb primary master and followed the manual install procedures on the KnoppMythWiki site to install KnoppMyth onto my 80Gb primary slave.

However, I reached an impasse. Once the files had finished copying to hdb1, I rebooted, but was faced with a flashing cursor where Lilo was meant to appear. I'd heard elsewhere that by running the following was supposed to fix the issue:

# mount -o rw,dev /dev/hdb1
    # chroot /mnt/hdb1
    # lilo -v

This gave an error, saying it didn't like something on line 2. When I looked, line 2 was referring to /dev/hda, so I commented this out and ran the 'lilo -v' command again.

This time, it ran, and gave me the following:

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist, disk scan bypassed
    Warning: partition type 0x07 on device 0x0301 is a dangerous place for
    a boot sector.

Proceed? [N|y]

This is the point I'm at. Is this normal, and should I go ahead with it? I'm obviously err'ing on the side of caution here as I don't want to lose my Windows installation. Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bob23838

Just Joined!
    Sorted this. Changed the /dev/hda1 line to /dev/hda.