Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using PCs since the early 1990s but I'm only now just getting ready to build my first Linux box. My plan is to setup the box to dual-boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fear my Newness

I've been using PCs since the early 1990s but I'm only now just getting ready to build my first Linux box. My plan is to setup the box to dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu. My main intention is to use the box as a security box that I can run various security tools like nmap, netcat, Cain and Abel, etc on. I would also like to setup Samba and some of the other cross platform file/print services to get my brain wrapped around how Linux might fit into an enterprise production environment.

From everything that I've read so far it seems like I need to install Windows XP FIRST. Once I have XP installed I am going to need to create some extra partitions for Ubuntu and everything else. I envision it being something like this...

Partition1: NTFS - Windows XP
    Partition2: FAT32 - Ubuntu
    Partition3: FAT32 - Ubuntu Swap
    Partition4: FAT32 - Shared data partition

Should I just configure all of the partitions during the Windows XP setup, or do I need to use another partition manager?

Will Ubuntu recognize Windows XP and configure LILO to handle it, or am I going to need to do some manual configuration of the boot loader to get everything working?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer!

Just install Windows XP and then install Ubuntu with the graphical installer, do NOT create any partitions for Ubuntu yet, the Ubuntu installer will do this for you.

Ubuntu can't live in FAT32 since it doesn't support unix-type permissions and other things.

Linux doesn't longer use LILO for booting, now most distros use GRUB, the Ubuntu installer should also help you creating an option to boot either Windows or Ubuntu.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Ubununtu uses ext2/ext3 as partition.

my way to do dual boot is first to set up XP, and then set up Partition magic and to all partitioning stuff with it. worked good so far.
    Karabakh - I will be back

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    But Partition Magic costs money, and the Ubuntu CD is free. The end result is the same.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Quote Originally Posted by dave562
    Partition1: NTFS - Windows XP
    Partition2: FAT32 - Ubuntu
    Partition3: FAT32 - Ubuntu Swap
    Partition4: FAT32 - Shared data partition
    Hi dave562 !!!

you dont need partition magic or anything.....

first partition.... NTFS
    second partiton.... FAT32 for data sharing
    delete third and fourth partition ( windows disk management .. type "diskmgmt.msc" in Run dialog box of START ) ..... dont format... leave it as unpartitioned/free space........

ubuntu installer will create partitions, install Boot Loader ( GRUB ) ..... you have nothing to do during install except one thing..... select "unpartitioned/free space for installation"....... click..click..click... you will have Ububtu... dual boot with XP...

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys! Now I just need some RAM to throw into the new box and I'll be ready to rock.

Hi !!

How much RAM you have.... ???? 256 MB + 512 or 750 MB SWAP... it rocks...
    i prefer 512 MB RAM + 650 MB SWAP...... no problems at all..... some distro like DamnSmallLinux or PuppyLinux works good on 32-64 MB RAM.......

.... casper ....

Just Joined!
    I have 512 mainly because I know Windows XP gets cranky with anything less than that.

Hey ! i have 512 MB too....... six Linux distros + windows XP... its rocking here...... go ahead..... install Ubuntu.........

.... casper ....