Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by action711 I'm just feelin utterly hopeless with all of this. It's just like, crap. Now I've given up dual-booting, cos it's just too much crap to deal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by action711
    I'm just feelin utterly hopeless with all of this. It's just like, crap.

Now I've given up dual-booting, cos it's just too much crap to deal with, i prefer to disable the primary (windows) drive in BIOS so the only drive left is the Linux drive. Thought this would be a good workaround.

But when the Linux drive boots up, it worked before, but now all I get is a black screen and "GRUB" and a flashing cursor, which doesn't do anything.

It's just stoopid.

Ready, Fedora core 5, not 1, 5!!!!!!! And it's still this difficult to deal with.

Poor show
    Yours is definitely a strange case, as quite a few people (myself included) have had no trouble at all setting up a dual-boot XP/Linux box with either the same or separate harddrives. Can you give a detailed description of your setup? What kind of drives are they (IDE/SATA/SCSI)? How are they connected (regular drives, RAID)? What brands and capacities are they? What exact steps are you following when you install FC5 (particularly the bootloader section)?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

primary boot partition is creating problems... and i couldn't figure out solution yet.

you can re-install GRUB........

plug-in Linux disk only........ and same steps......

boot up through FC5 CD/DVD..... type "linux rescue" at boot: prompt
    after a while you will get prompt again ... now type.....

chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/hda

press Ctrl + D two times...... machine will reboot

EDIT :
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Yours is definitely a strange case,
    i agree.
    whatever i suggested till now, always worked.... something is wrong somewhere... let c...

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    one thing I don't understand is how grub can be installed on the primary drive when it is full of windows stuff and there's only space at the end of the drive

one thing I don't understand is how grub can be installed on the primary drive when it is full of windows stuff and there's only space at the end of the drive
    GRUB is installed on a special space at the very beginning of the drive called the Master Boot Record, or MBR for short. It is possible to install things to this area and wipe it clean without damaging the rest of the data on the drive.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks, now I understand a bit.

My system is a Dell Optiplex, BIOS revision A09, 2.7 cerleron, with two ATA hard drives, cable select, the primary drive is 40 GB windows, a Seagate Barracuda 40 GB, and the other is the Linux drive, an Hitachi Deskstar 80 Gb.

Thanks, now I understand a bit.

My system is a Dell Optiplex, BIOS revision A09, 2.7 cerleron, with two ATA hard drives, cable select, the primary drive is 40 GB windows, a Seagate Barracuda 40 GB, and the other is the Linux drive, an Hitachi Deskstar 80 Gb.
    Ok. What options did you select when you were in the bootloader section of Fedora's installer?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I chose the option to install Grub on the windows drive, like I should, but it didn't work, cos when I booted using the windows drive the option to boot Linux wasn't there. And when I disabled the windows drive to boot Linux it gave me an error.

I chose the option to install Grub on the windows drive, like I should, but it didn't work, cos when I booted using the windows drive the option to boot Linux wasn't there. And when I disabled the windows drive to boot Linux it gave me an error.
    Ok. Well, I understand why your Linux drive wouldn't boot. You told the installer to put GRUB on the Windows drive, which means it didn't install GRUB on the Master Boot Record of the Linux drive, so when you disabled the XP drive it didn't know what to do.

As for why it didn't install on the XP drive, that's strange. Did you attempt to manually install GRUB using the method casper mentioned?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well the second time i installed it I disconnected the windows drive and linux booted fine, and I thought I could just disable the windows drive in bios when I wanted to boot linux, but this didn't work, when booting linux I got a black screen with "grub" and a flashing cursor at the top and no response to anything.

but before when I tried to install grub on the windows drive it couldn't find the drive, says:

/dev/hdb1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

and so I did fdisk and got these results"

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7941/dscf000150im0.jpg

I'm about to do a fresh install tonight, with xp on primary and Linux on secondary. But it's not going to work.

HI !!

this time, in boot loader ( GRUB ) section, click on Boot Loader Settings and select "install GRUB in the MBR of /dev/hda" radio button. this is the exact line which installer will show you.

it SHOULD work !

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast