Find the answer to your Linux question:
i recently bought an hp pavillion dv1650us laptop... and, its giving me some trouble. i drop in an xpsp2 disc to wipe the lame stock install that hp gives me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hp pavillion dv1000 hard drive issue

i recently bought an hp pavillion dv1650us laptop... and, its giving me some trouble.

i drop in an xpsp2 disc to wipe the lame stock install that hp gives me (and patition it for linux as well), and it tells me i dont have a hard drive installed. o.O i figure its an anti-piracy thing in the iso i downloaded, so whatever. i drop in slack for testing purposes. with bare.i and sata.i, slack cant find a disk either. um...

so i check in the device manager, and i have an ide _and_ an sata controller installed, and the hard drive ive got doesnt list any volumes in the driver details... hm.

im thinking hp is doing some proprietary ide/sata fusion thingy that confuses not only slackware, but the xp install disc as well. =\ any help? id _really_ like to have a clean xp/slack dualboot setup on this thing.

Hi !!

a few questions first......

is there any OS in you machine ??? are you able to boot up ??
    when you boot up through XP CD, do you get any error message ???

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    oh certainly. im on the laptop right now, haha.

its got a stock install of xp as per HP, and i updated it a bunch.

and as to the error on the windows disc, it just says i dont have a hard drive installed, whereas slackware finds hda but no partitions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    dont create partition for slack... delete that. you must have unpatitioned free space... no formatting........
    boot up through slack CD and select unpartitioned space for installation.

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First