Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have an 80gig and a 200gig that I dual booted suse/windows for a long time (Win XP on the 80gig drive). I decided to install Fedora on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora Core 4 dual boot problem

Hi,

I have an 80gig and a 200gig that I dual booted suse/windows for a long time (Win XP on the 80gig drive). I decided to install Fedora on the 80gig drive and on reboot, Fedora boots automatically and doesn't give me the option to boot into suse 10.1. I decided that the suse bootloader had been overwritten, and did a repair install with suse, which came out fine, after having to choose to repair various things including the bootloader. Thought I'd solved the problem, but on reboot Fedora still loads and suse isn't given as an option to load. What do I do now? The Fedora install went fine - it recognised the partitions and suse on the 200gig drive, so I thought I'd be safe, but something's been overwritten by Fedora that the automatic repair on suse can't fix it seems

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi !!!

you are right. SuSe boot loader had been overwritten. you can re-install SuSe Boot Loader and add an entry for Fedora in its menu.lst file.
    OR
    add an entry for SuSe in Fedora's grub.conf file.....

my suggestion is ... add an entry for SuSe in Fedora's Grub.......

copy title, root, kernel and initrd lines from SuSe's boot/grub/menu.lst file and paste in fedora's boot/grub/grub.conf file.....

lines are somewhat like this.....

title SUSE Linux 10.1
    root (hd0,8 )
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 resume=/dev/hda8 splash=silent
    initrd /boot/initrd

save file and reboot.............

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I haven't had time to sort it yet, but will have a go tonight and let you know if I don't manage it! Thank you so much devils_casper for your help

HI !!

you are welcome and let me know if you did/didnt sort out problem ...

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First