Find the answer to your Linux question:
If you are setting up a dualboot, do you make several "bootable" partitions, or just one? I was going to try this: hda1 linux "bootable" had2 linux swap hda3 Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partitioning and "Bootable" status?

If you are setting up a dualboot, do you make several "bootable" partitions, or just one? I was going to try this:

hda1 linux "bootable"
    had2 linux swap
    hda3 Windows NT "bootable"

Linux Engineer
    no, jjust the one containing the kernel. in your case it seems that you have a /root partition (containing /boot) a swap partition and a windows partion. Is this the case? if so then just make hda1 with the bootable flag. and grub will handel the booting of windows

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the help.

Yes, that is correct, I have linux setup with just /root and /swap (the /boot is contained in the /root partition.) What I'm trying to do is install Windows NT 4.0 ... I already have linux installed and working great. I tried to install Windows already one time, ... during the installation it has to reboot, but it wouldn't go back to the installation.... it would just boot to Linux. That's why I thought I would need to make the Windows partition bootable.

Linux Engineer
    most version of windows will overwrite ur mbr and u will need to reinstalll ur linux bootloader from a cd. if i did just go back into the linux bootloader, u nede to make a windows option, and select this when i reboots.

Linux Engineer
    yes here are some instructions on how to setup windows in the grub menu:

edit this file:

/boot/grub/grub.conf

add these lines to the bottom of the file:

title=Windows NT
    root (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

Save it and reboot, select windows NT to continue the installation process -#WARNING#- Windows will overwrite your boot loader with its own YOU REALLY SHOULD put the linux bootloader on a floppy first!!